elliottalb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!

So my much anticipated Nikon D60 just came in and I'm loving it. I'm an absolute beginner to DSLRs and am a bit overwhelmed. I read through the instruction manual but things are still really fuzzy. I realize I shouldn't expect myself to know what can take years or decades to know, but I am excited to use my camera to it's full potential. Where do I start learning? I've considered buying the "Nikon d60 for dummies" book but I'm not sure if its worth it. What is the best way to learn? is it reading lots, taking tons of pictures and messing with settings until i learn what they do, or a combination of the two? I've been recomended "Understanding exposure" as well. Is this book worthwhile? any recomendations or help is greatly appreciated :)

I have that book and it does a pretty good job explaining the functions and how they all work. I'd recommend it. I've not read Understanding Exposure so I can't comment but it does come highly recommended on this forum by many. That alone should make it a good read and I may pick it up sometime.

Next just start shooting pictures... Just like you've been doing. That's also a good way to progress.

I have that book and it does a pretty good job explaining the functions and how they all work. I'd recommend it. I've not read Understanding Exposure so I can't comment but it does come highly recommended on this forum by many. That alone should make it a good read and I may pick it up sometime.

Next just start shooting pictures... Just like you've been doing. That's also a good way to progress.

Awesome! Thank you so very much for your input. I'm definatly going to pick up a book tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if the "D60 for dummies" book or the "understanding exposure" book is best for a first read? I'd hate to get a book that's filled with concepts I don't understand yet. Thank you again!

i own a d60. read the user manual. that should be enough to get you started. if you spend a little time on here each day..you'll also not need to pay for the d60 for dummies book, instead spend money on a book not geared toward a specific camera - invest in literature about photography for beginners or etc..

I too would advise against getting a big "for dummies" book. After I got my D40, I ordered the D40 Field Guide (I think by David Busch), but I ended up getting more out of Ken Rockwell's guide (Nikon D40 User's Guide) than that book. The factory owner's manual should be good too (I didn't really look at mine but the one time I did use it for reference it was helpful). Understanding Exposure is definitely a great book, though at least my copy insists on starting in full manual mode (as though he wrote it using a full manual camera). Though it's a great learning tool to use manual mode, most of the exercises (at least the ones I looked at) don't have you making any extra adjustments you would need to be in manual mode for.

Awesome. Thank you so much. This forum and the helpful people on it were such a huge asset to me when I was considering buying a camera. I'm going to do some research and some big time practicing and studying, but I look forward to being back and sharing some photos in the future :)

Remember most shots ( hell technically all shots ) can be done on full manual. I.e. at the lowest level all cameras do the same thing - open the shutter so far, for so long.

In other words the important things to learn are to understand aperture and shutter and how they work together.

Most of the settings on the camera you probably won't use but the important ones would be aperture priority, shutter priority, full auto, how to switch between manual and auto focus and setting the ISO.

Then if you hit a problem you'd look in the manual to work out how to resolve it.

When I got my D40 a few months ago I started by using it mostly on P mode, then I concentrated on learning the menus and various functions of the camera, exposure modes, focus modes, flash modes etc By the time I'd spent a couple of weeks taking a couple of thousand shots I had a pretty good knowledge of the cameras abilities and knew the menus fairly well.

At that point I switched auto ISO off, programmed the function button to change the ISO and started usung A and S modes almost exclusively.

I would recommend you do the same, stick with P and ISO auto until you know the camera, then mess with the other modes, that way you are only learning one thing at a time and won't get too overwhelmed.

Hi everyone!

So my much anticipated Nikon D60 just came in and I'm loving it. I'm an absolute beginner to DSLRs and am a bit overwhelmed. I read through the instruction manual but things are still really fuzzy. I realize I shouldn't expect myself to know what can take years or decades to know, but I am excited to use my camera to it's full potential. Where do I start learning? I've considered buying the "Nikon d60 for dummies" book but I'm not sure if its worth it. What is the best way to learn? is it reading lots, taking tons of pictures and messing with settings until i learn what they do, or a combination of the two? I've been recomended "Understanding exposure" as well. Is this book worthwhile? any recomendations or help is greatly appreciated :)

Understanding exposure is a great book on how the exposure is comprised. Reading this book and referencing your manual at the same time is a great way to learn some of the basics of your camera and of SLR's in general. Just out of curiousity what part of the country are you from?

The "Dummies" books are OK, but I would steer you toward the D40 Field Guide:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470171480/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232201736&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Nikon D40/D40x Digital Field Guide: David D. Busch: Books[/ame]

I have the D80 version and refer to it constantly.

Good luck, have fun!

Jon

I got one of the "Lantern Guide" books for my sony A100, it puts into plain english what the user guides print in gibberish. :) For $20 it's a good book to have o hand and explains things clearly. I'm sure they have one fore Nikon series cameras too.

heres the steps i recomend has worked out well for me
first read the owners manual LEARN YOUR CAMERA
second I like the field guides for the cameras goes more in depth of setting on your camera for specific areas
third understanding exposure is a great book well to understand exposure :D
fourth i got the photographers guide to light (like it explains different scenarios and what to watch out for in various lighting)
fifth i would finally dip into an all around photography book take a look at it and get one that feels right to you that you understand
also to add borders was going out of business where i was (i dont know if its company wide so may want to check that out get books pretty cheap)

Understanding exposure is a great book on how the exposure is comprised. Reading this book and referencing your manual at the same time is a great way to learn some of the basics of your camera and of SLR's in general. Just out of curiousity what part of the country are you from?

I'm actually from Albuquerque, NM. :)

heres the steps i recomend has worked out well for me
first read the owners manual LEARN YOUR CAMERA
second I like the field guides for the cameras goes more in depth of setting on your camera for specific areas
third understanding exposure is a great book well to understand exposure :D
fourth i got the photographers guide to light (like it explains different scenarios and what to watch out for in various lighting)
fifth i would finally dip into an all around photography book take a look at it and get one that feels right to you that you understand
also to add borders was going out of business where i was (i dont know if its company wide so may want to check that out get books pretty cheap)

Looks like i have a lot of homework ahead of me,. Thank you so much for that reference. on a slightly related note, I sure hope Borders isnt going out of business. I can't even describe the extreme amounts of time I spend in that store. :(

Most reactions

Back