Just Got a Quote From B&H - Equipment Change Suggestions?

kilerb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was talking to the sales guy. He seemed very nice and knowledgeable. One thing I noticed immediately is that he steered me away from Nikon and to Canon, citing that if I need accessories, Nikon will be WAY BACK ORDERED.... And he adamantly suggested Canon because of this. He suggested the Rebel T2I as you can see in the quote below.

So, this is what he suggested for indoor and outdoor portraits or head shots, which is all I'll be using this for at the start. I'd appreciate any suggestions on substituting any of this for something that might be more or less money. Value is what I'm looking for here. I just want to have a high quality setup for indoor and outdoor portrait shots. Thanks a lot! Here's the quote....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Brand Item Description Price Total
SKU#/Catalog#
================================================================================
1 INTERFIT SUPER COOLITE-5 2-LT/LIGHT STANDS KIT/REG 313.95 313.95
#INSCL52K/INT117
This Item Has Free Shipping To The Continental USA.

1 CANON EOS DIGITAL REBEL T2I/REG 704.72 704.72
#CAEDRT2I/4462B001

1 CANON 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS EF-S (USM) LENS/USA 449.95 449.95
#CA17854IS/9517A002

1 SANDISK EXTREME SDHC CLASS 10 (30MB/s) 8GB/REG 65.95 65.95
#SAESD8GBC/SDX3008GA31

Manufacturer's Rebate $20.00
1 IMPACT FLOUERCENT 1 LIGHT KIT/REG 78.95 78.95
#IMFL1K/FL1K

Qty Brand Item Description Price Total
SKU#/Catalog#
CONSISTS OF:
1 IMPACT PORCELAIN SOCKET w/INLINE SWITCH(500w)/REG
#IMSP/FB250
1 IMPACT 12" REFLECTOR w/o SOCKET & CORD/REG
#IMR12/402620
1 IMPACT 8' AIR CUSHION 4-SECTION LIGHTSTAND/REG
#IMLS8A/LS8A
1 GB SPIRAL FLUORESCENT 30w 5500K E26 BASE/REG
#GBFS30/SP30955
1 IMPACT DIFFUSER SOCK f/ 13" BEAUTY DISH/REG 20.99 20.99
#IMDSBD13/9031620
1 CANON SPEEDLITE 430EX II/USA 265.00 265.00
#CA430EX2/2805B002
Price After $15.00 Instant Rebate Exp. 01/08/11
1 PEARSTONE BOUNCE DOME f/CANON 430EX / 430EX II/REG 9.50 9.50
#PEBDC430/BDC430
1 PEARSTONE 6.5' UNIV DUO TTL OFF-CAMERA CORD/REG 45.00 45.00
#PEOCDU6/OCDU6
@PLEASE NOTE: -------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Quote is valid for 30 Days, Except for Rebates & Promotions
================================================================================
Payment Type - Amount Sub-Total: 1,954.01

Last edited:
I'd skip the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 and get something different. I'd just go with the regular EF-S Kit lens rather than that. But I suppose it's personal preference.

forget about the whole thing.. Get your self a camera (new or used), fast lenses, and a flash. Dont worry about the other things right now. You buy it as you go. A lot of the things he listed, you can probably buy the china made light kit on amazon for a lot cheaper. Plus, you dont know if that is what you want to be doing. I personally would buy body only and get the lenses used. You can probably get a kit lens for like $80 and longer zoom for like $180 used (EF-S 55-200mm IS) on CL.

Does that package come with a PROFESSIONAL FOTOGRAPHER certificate? Because if not, you'd liek totalie be getting ripped off.

When it comes to cameras, its personal. Get what you want. If it means waiting a bit for it then so be it. B&H is a highly reputable store, often times with free shipping, its hard to find better pricing from any other retailer, depending on where you live it only a day or two to have it in your hands and void the sales tax. Some of the Impact products are really pretty good, I have a few. Since you are looking at a Speedlite you do not need an air cushion stand per se, but I'd take one with rather than without for future use if you want to place a strobe on, so I think its a good choice depending on the weight it can manage. I think they guy gave you a nice choice.

You need to decide what camera you want, I think thats the primary decision. The rest will fall into place. I am not a fan of used lenses anymore than used cars unless they come with guarantees. Brand new and out of whack is no issue with a reputable retailer like B&H to get you started if there is a problem, and sometimes there are anomalies.

Read the reviews, the guides, and hold them both in your hands to see how the controls and functionality feel to you. You want this to be a purchase you feel good about and have for a while.

I have a Canon, have always had them so I am used to the familiarity of them, but would not hesitate to select a Nikon if that was what my preference was.

Good Luck!:thumbup:

How experienced are you?

If you're just starting out you need to learn photography without all the extra stuff getting in the way with the exception of a flash.

If you're shooting portraits you don't need a class 10 SD card -portrait shooting is usually not highly active, you take a shot, recompose, take a shot ... . I bought a PNY class 4 8Gb for $20 I have used my DSLR on 3 frames per second shooting RAW + JPEG fine and had the camera go for about 3 seconds before the buffer filled up and it stopped shooting.

For portraits I would get a prime lens in the 85mm to 105mm area. That is the traditional focal length for portrait work.

If you want a setup for portrait work my suggestion is to pick a camera, doesn't matter what brand and add 2 or 3 flash units with bounce, diffusers or umbrellas and there's a complete setup. Learn how to use lighting ratios to have a main light with a fill light (2 flash setup) and add a background light if need be (3 flash setup).

Don't let the salesrep tell you what to get. Get to a store and hold each camera in your hands. Then decide.

You definitely don't need all that stuff for portraiture. It will overwhelm you if you're not very experienced. Like stated above get a camera, at least a couple flashes, and a 50mm prime lens if your camera comes with a kit lens. The 50mm lenses from Nikon and Canon are very good portrait lenses. Get the rest of the stuff as you learn and need it.

I agree 100%, go hold various ones in your hand... not just Canon and Nikon either, try Sony, Pentax, whatever you can get your hands on. See which one feels the best and makes the most sense to you.

One word of advice about salespersons.......

Commision.

Another bit of advice, have knowledge beforehand. Play opposum and catch the idiots redhanded.

Manufacturer sales incentive...aka "spiff"....spiffs are the way salespeople work in the retail photo/video business...the manufacturer pays the SALESMEN a "spiff" to move product that is not selling well, or that which has high profit margin. After a salesman makes a sale of a spiff item, he writes it up and submits the paperwork. Spiffs are actually more lucrative than commissions, which are payed by the retail establishment itself; spiffs are typically larger,and more-lucrative, than commissions. Cheap-to-make things like a T2i and the 17-85 plastic,slow zoom lens from Canon are cheap products that have high profit for Canon. I would not be surprised if the spiffs for the two items total $30 for any salesman that can get those products out the door.

A couple of observations:
None of our sales associates receives commissions. We don't hold sales contests based on the number or size or value of any sale or of a sales associate's collected group of sales. We pay salaries and measure our sales associates' performance by product knowledge and customer satisfaction foremost.

None of our sales associates receives sales incentives or "spiffs." They're strictly prohibited and a sales associate who accepts any is subject to termination. The value of any "spiff" is rolled into our cost basis and helps us keep retail prices low, benefiting the customer.

None of our sales associates is given any information about how we determine our cost basis for any brand or item. We don't share with them any information about which item or brand might offer a higher profit margin to the company. It's our intention that a recommendation from a sales associate to a customer be based entirely on your conversation with the sales associate wherein you tell us your shopping parameters and priorities and we endeavor to make suggestions based on product knowledge and experience.

That said, IMO the list of items in the OP's post is not an unreasonable suggestion based on the OP's stated need: indoor and outdoor portraits or head shots, which is all I'll be using this for at the start ... Value is what I'm looking for here. I am sure there are other options which might be equally valid and I am sure if you put four photographers in a room you could easily get five opinions.

Most reactions

Back