Just Got a Quote From B&H - Equipment Change Suggestions?

My take away from the posts were that this was a camera that he wanted now, not later. Who wants to wait for a camera once they decided what they want...Not me! Heaven knows its not available at B&H. So....really...here's an alternate suggestion if you want to go this route...disingenuous??? Not my take away...:confused:

Meanwhile, I am not seeing anyone commit to helping this guy with his Nikon lens question...:whip:

Henry...care to make a suggestion or two for this guy...you might be the only one right now who has the gumption to...Even if they are not in stock...:thumbup:

Apparently things worked differently where you worked than they do at B&H where our 35+ year history of unimpeachable ethical integrity is far more important than this. If a customer says my need is urgent, we'd be disingenuous to suggest Brand A if we know Brand A is currently in short supply and they're backordered on a host of essential items.

It's been my experience that companies that truly have "unimpeachable ethical integrity" do not have to resort to beating their chest and telling everyone they have "unimpeachable ethical integrity".

In defense of B&H, Nikon's stock has been very spotty. I've been watching 4 different lenses over the past couple months and if I was a pro needing pro glass now, I might regret my choice of Nikon.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

henryp, your sharp tongue (via the keyboard) is quite distasteful as a customer relations representative.

We will have to agree to disagree, particularly since my most recent reply was to a base and meritless calumny.

Henry Posner,
I think you misunderstood my comments: the "big name" is you, Henry Posner. I was referring to you, you of the 120-135 photography forum memberships.

I didn't misunderstand a thing. Slow and thick as I may seem to you I did manage to suss that out. :)

Does B&H have a Nikon D90, a $450 zoom lens, and a lower-tier Nikon flash in stock now, or not?

As you'll see from my links below, the D90 has been and remains unavailable and we do not have any reliable information from Nikon USA about when (or how many) we can expect more. The SB-400 and SB-600 are in stock. The Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX is too, but at $619.95 may be a bit much under the circumstances. OTOH, the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX at 359.95 is worth a look.

My take away from the posts were that this was a camera that he wanted now, not later. Who wants to wait for a camera once they decided what they want...Not me! Heaven knows its not available at B&H. So....really...here's an alternate suggestion if you want to go this route...disingenuous??? Not my take away..

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Henry...care to make a suggestion or two for this guy...you might be the only one right now who has the gumption to...Even if they are not in stock...
The OP wrote his primary considerations were:
"indoor and outdoor portraits or head shots, which is all I'll be using this for at the start."

I think any of us with any experience at this knows there's no one right answer here and the fact that portraits or head shots can be one person's head-n-shoulders to a small group at full length. That's one advantage, in the OP's situation, for suggesting the zoom rather than a handful of lenses of overlapping focal lengths or ranges. When I was shooting full-time, back in the days of 35mm, my go-to lens for head-n-shoulders portraiture was Nikon's venerable 105/2.5, but that lens was certainly not indicated for most couples or full-lengths, and was IMO better suited to studio than location work where the ambiance contributes to the overall results.

I note later the OP wrote, "I am on a budget, but would like something that REALLY looks great." Respectfully, I think something that really works great is the higher priority. :)

So what one lens fits the OP's needs presuming the Rebel T2i (or Nikon D90 which the OP also mentioned)? I think it's worth mentioning the D90 and all D90 kits packed by Nikon are and have been unavailable for some time and right now we do not know if inventory will be replenished today or tomorrow or Christmas eve. I'm also bearing in mind the OP said, "The reason I liked the B&H guy's suggestion was because he claimed the lens he picked would work great for indoors and outdoors and I wouldn't need any other lenses. That's what I want." Earlier, he'd said, "...I'm not a trained pro with an eye for these things..."

So a relatively inexperienced non-pro wanting to do a variety of work under diverse shooting conditions wants an all-in-one lens with which he can quickly become comfortable. Canon's EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM remains a reasonable suggestion taking all this into account. I certainly concede it's not the only option and I know full well if you ask three photographers you'll easily end up with four opinions. I wouldn't discount Sigma's 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens either. Neither of these is inexpensive but both offer the twin benefits of a relatively fast max aperture with a reasonably useful zoom range. The OP said he wanted one lens which, "would work great for indoors and outdoors."

I am sure there are as many opinions about this as there are people participating in this thread. I am equally sure there are other valid suggestions to be had and I am confident it's possible to continue this conversation with collegiality, basing our comments on the OP's individual situation and our collective experience owning and using the equipment without resorting to name-calling, and baseless accusations of profiteering or piracy.

Last edited:
I think it's worth mentioning the D90 and all D90 kits packed by Nikon are and have been unavailable for some time and right now

Try telling that to other retailers. Newegg happens to have the 'impossible' to find kit IN STOCK: Newegg.com - Nikon D90 Black 12.3 MP 3.0" 920K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/ AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

They've got the kit for $1029 and it is IN STOCK. Thats cheaper than B&H and you dont have to wait.

Funny thing is that I once talked to one of your 'Live Chat' reps when I had a D7000 on pre-order. I asked how much later B&H received their stock than other retailers. As an example to him, I said that Best Buy showed on their website that they have had D3100 kits in stock for a couple of weeks now, and that on B&H's website, it still showed backordered/unknown arrival date. His response was that nobody had received any of the kits yet, and that Best Buy was likely lying to its customers by posting in stock on their website when they didn't actually have it in stock.... I walked into best buy that day, and saw one of the kits sitting on the shelf.

Last edited:
B&H does not have the D90 listed as new and in-stock today. But they do have the Canon the OP did not inquire about. This is not "a baseless accusation about profiteering or piracy", as Mr. Posner alleges. Instead, it's a simple, no BS opinion as to what actually happened. I'm not some kid who just fell off the turnip truck. He is defending his salesman's actions with a lot of vigor. Too much vigor, methinks.

A store can not sell what it does not have in inventory these days. When a customer comes in or calls in on the phone, a salesman tries to sell what he has available. It's pretty clear that selling a customer a d-slr, zoom, on-camera speedlight flash, and a lighting kit was the priority. Even though the customer got "switched" from the Nikon D90 that he wanted and into a Canon system. If the customer ever wants a built-in remote flash commander, the Nikon D90 has it, the Canon T2i does not have it.

I think it's worth mentioning the D90 and all D90 kits packed by Nikon are and have been unavailable for some time and right now

Try telling that to other retailers. Newegg happens to have the 'impossible' to find kit IN STOCK: Newegg.com - Nikon D90 Black 12.3 MP 3.0" 920K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/ AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

They've got the kit for $1029 and it is IN STOCK. Thats cheaper than B&H and you dont have to wait.

Funny thing is that I once talked to one of your 'Live Chat' reps when I had a D7000 on pre-order. I asked how much later B&H received their stock than other retailers. As an example to him, I said that Best Buy showed on their website that they have had D3100 kits in stock for a couple of weeks now, and that on B&H's website, it still showed backordered/unknown arrival date. His response was that nobody had received any of the kits yet, and that Best Buy was likely lying to its customers by posting in stock on their website when they didn't actually have it in stock.... I walked into best buy that day, and saw one of the kits sitting on the shelf.

You must be mistaken....if an employee who works for a company with "35+ years of unimpeachable ethical integrity" tells you that D90 kit is unavailable....then that kit is not available anywhere.

Obviously the Newegg link is a glorified "April's Fools" joke and that kit you saw in Best Buy was a well designed hologram. :mrgreen:

A new twist for trolling the Canon vs. Nikon debate.
:popcorn:

One thing that I can share from an experience that I had at B&H was the suggestion to request notification of an item returning to stock via the website. It was explained that fulfilment for customer requested items would preceed the release of items to general inventory as In Stock.

Any time there is an item that I want and it is listed as Backorder on the site, I issue the request for notification and I do get notified once that item is available for shipment.

I may not have a popular opnion but I have bought my photo equipment at B&H since they opened. I go to the store, I talk to the staff there, I think it is an amazing universe there and I don't think that anything compares to it.

I would not hesitate to pick somehting up at Best Buy, but I don't think that I would ever rely on the opinion of one of their employees. I might be short sighted and judging a book by its cover, but I just don't have a perception that the staff is equal. So for just go and pick it up, OK, but after taxes I'm still going with B&H and their generous shipping options being the better price. And I'm not trying to be argumentative, please beleive me.

Henry...I have my eye on a new camera...I'll be at the store Sunday!

So for just go and pick it up, OK, but after taxes I'm still going with B&H and their generous shipping options being the better price.

I ended up cancelling my pre-order and did purchase my D7000 from Best Buy. After using the 10% off movers coupon which made it cheaper than at B&H even after taxes and I was able to use it about a month sooner.

As for the OP, he'll notice that the link I provided him to Newegg will yield the same result... cheaper and sooner.

So, I went to Samy's and purchased the D7000. They only had the kit with the 18-105mm DX VR lens which seems like a good all purpose lens for when I'm at comedy clubs and need to zoom a bit. I got the d7000 because it was $300 more than the D90 and figured I won't be doing this again for a long time. I do think I might not notice a big difference if any between this one and the D90. It took me awhile and almost got the D90. I also got a 50mm lens for it made by Nikon for about $130. He said it would be good for portrait shots where zooming isn't necessary. They had another one with better glass, but it was like 500 or 600 bucks. I have 15 days to exchange if necessary. I was trying to be decisive and it's hard. I even bought the 5 year warranty for $200 and then returned it 10 minutes later while looking at accessories. I know a newbie shouldn't jump in this deep sometimes, but I also don't want to wish I paid $300 extra 6 months from now... So I bit the bullet and went for it. Didn't get any lighting yet and the guy in that dept. was definitely trying to sell me on the benefits of expensive lighting. They wanted a couple hundred bucks for a reflector for outside use with a stand. It really adds up. Ugh!!! Should I have just got the D90 body with that 50mm lens and saved the $300 on the kit/lens? Thanks guys... I appreciate all the suggestions.

So, I went to Samy's and purchased the D7000. They only had the kit with the 18-105mm DX VR lens which seems like a good all purpose lens for when I'm at comedy clubs and need to zoom a bit. I got the d7000 because it was $300 more than the D90 and figured I won't be doing this again for a long time. I do think I might not notice a big difference if any between this one and the D90. It took me awhile and almost got the D90. I also got a 50mm lens for it made by Nikon for about $130. He said it would be good for portrait shots where zooming isn't necessary. They had another one with better glass, but it was like 500 or 600 bucks. I have 15 days to exchange if necessary. I was trying to be decisive and it's hard. I even bought the 5 year warranty for $200 and then returned it 10 minutes later while looking at accessories. I know a newbie shouldn't jump in this deep sometimes, but I also don't want to wish I paid $300 extra 6 months from now... So I bit the bullet and went for it. Didn't get any lighting yet and the guy in that dept. was definitely trying to sell me on the benefits of expensive lighting. They wanted a couple hundred bucks for a reflector for outside use with a stand. It really adds up. Ugh!!! Should I have just got the D90 body with that 50mm lens and saved the $300 on the kit/lens? Thanks guys... I appreciate all the suggestions.

WooHoo!!! You have to just start taking pictures now.:thumbup: I think that you chose a more advanced camera, the video aspect is nice, not intended, but now you don't need a separate camera for that. The autofocus system on the 7000 will be better in the long run and I am glad you declined the warranty. So in the end, this might have turned out better than you planed.

The camera I have now is more in line with what your original choice was. I am looking at the 7D which is more like your D7000, so an upgrade for me in terms of focus, ISO, bulb setting and more. (Still not FF for me tho) Again, I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Lighting is a whole different topic. You wanted the speedlight. For outdoors and portability it probably is the way to go, especially since you do want to do outdoors. You can get a reflector and stand kit/deal...I got a nice one that is Impact, just for an idea, with a 4 in 1 reflector. So a speedlight still is probably the right choice for you to start with and the reflector is always needed both inside and out.

You got your new camera....Yay!!!:smileys:

Apparently things worked differently where you worked than they do at B&H where our 35+ year history of unimpeachable ethical integrity is far more important than this. If a customer says my need is urgent, we'd be disingenuous to suggest Brand A if we know Brand A is currently in short supply and they're backordered on a host of essential items.

I'm not usually one to get into such debates, but I seem to remember a few lawsuites in the last couple of years....one about issues with promoting women to the salestaff and another one a few years before about benefits and promotion of hispanic people? Not sure where the women suite ended up but I believe the hispanic suite was actually settled for a few million?

Unimpeachable ethical integrity? :thumbdown:

Dont get me wrong, many many companies have discrimination issues such as this. Its fairly common. But they don't go preaching differently in public.

That's not accurate. Plenty of companies have legal issues with employees and still go and do a fantastic job doing what they do. In addition, I think that the dialog is starting to veer in a direction that in an of itself will go into a zone that is prejudicial, so I am checking out of this thread.

Very, very happy that kilerb got his new camera!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back