Just got my first DSLR!!

chopzz13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I just got my first DSLR and boy do I have a lot to learn! There is so much to these cameras it is mind blowing. I knew ZERO , nada, NONE, about taking photos and what any of the terms meant (fstop, aperture, etc ) until I did my first Google search about 3 weeks ago. I have been busy! So the main reason I wanted to get a nice camera was to be able to take nice photos , duh :) My only camera so far was a 8 year old P&S that I rarely used, nowadays I rely on my Iphone or my GoPro ( which are basically P&S ). What I wanted to take out of my future good pictures was to be able to take some nice landscape photos ( mostly of the city ) so that I can get them printed and hung up on my wall's. I like the idea of having and creating my own art instead of paying for someone else's. So before I am able to snap nice quality shots, that I would be comfortable putting up on my walls, I need to practice! Also, along with taking mostly landscapes I would like to take some action shots , like motor sports and biking. So based on what I decided and what I wanted to shoot for fun; I chose the Canon 7D body. After a week or so of finding ,trading and selling lens on craigslist I have stopped spending money and have landed with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to get started in taking photos.

I have not had a chance to explore the outdoors during the daylight so my only shots so far are of mostly the inside of my apartment and a couple night shots of Phoenix. Night shots and water were set on M setting and others were Av setting. The ones in Av were from the first day I got the camera (fruit and water)

Please let me know what you think!

$10550966155_2caa935886_b.jpg$10469156003_19b8b01151_b.jpg$10468963285_9939c82cab_b.jpg$10551219653_a38a53907c_b.jpg$10550976155_a7ae0b7337_b.jpg$10569374425_aa34bcc0ab_b.jpg$10469158463_a8a0b161bf_b.jpg

I think that I am on the right track - I have lots of work to do.. These were not all 1 shot and we are good . Took many shots and had to make many adjustments to get the settings correct. This will become more natural the first time the more I use the camera...

Thanks for looking!

Hey I just got my first DSLR and boy do I have a lot to learn! There is so much to these cameras it is mind blowing. I knew ZERO , nada, NONE, about taking photos and what any of the terms meant (fstop, aperture, etc ) until I did my first Google search about 3 weeks ago. I have been busy! So the main reason I wanted to get a nice camera was to be able to take nice photos , duh :) My only camera so far was a 8 year old P&S that I rarely used, nowadays I rely on my Iphone or my GoPro ( which are basically P&S ). What I wanted to take out of my future good pictures was to be able to take some nice landscape photos ( mostly of the city ) so that I can get them printed and hung up on my wall's. I like the idea of having and creating my own art instead of paying for someone else's. So before I am able to snap nice quality shots, that I would be comfortable putting up on my walls, I need to practice! Also, along with taking mostly landscapes I would like to take some action shots , like motor sports and biking. So based on what I decided and what I wanted to shoot for fun; I chose the Canon 7D body. After a week or so of finding ,trading and selling lens on craigslist I have stopped spending money and have landed with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to get started in taking photos.

I have not had a chance to explore the outdoors during the daylight so my only shots so far are of mostly the inside of my apartment and a couple night shots of Phoenix. Night shots and water were set on M setting and others were Av setting. The ones in Av were from the first day I got the camera (fruit and water)

Please let me know what you think!

I think that I am on the right track - I have lots of work to do.. These were not all 1 shot and we are good . Took many shots and had to make many adjustments to get the settings correct. This will become more natural the first time the more I use the camera...

Thanks for looking!

Looks like you got some great shots to start with there. Congrats on the new camera. I hope you'll find photography to be as fun and rewarding as I do, I spend most of my weekends taking pictures and I absolutely love it. My own switch over to DSLR was pretty recent as well, I had some pretty good 35 mm equipment at one time but I was forced to sell it off years ago, just recently caught the bug again and decided to get a DSLR. So far I couldn't be happier.

In your words "I have lots of work to do." Is so true. The more you work at it the easier it becomes. This is a great place to learn just be ready for sometimes harsh/honest critique. Welcome to the photo forum, you can check out but, you can never leave. ;)

be ready for sometimes harsh/honest critique

This is exactly why I posted this , so that i can get some critiqu!

Yeah I am a mountain biker and sometimes i just wish that i had a good camera to take a shot of the views that i encounter - now i just need to remember to bring my camera ( just ordered a nice outdoorsy camera backpack ) . just need to be aware that i have my camera on me and not crash!

Phoenix is a lovely place. Lots of stuff around there that is great for photographers. The Desert Botanical Gardens always has something worth shooting.

I have friends there I visit from time to time, and I always enjoy it. Of course I always go when it's 20 degrees here and 75 degrees there to ;)

Yeah I am a mountain biker and sometimes i just wish that i had a good camera to take a shot of the views that i encounter - now i just need to remember to bring my camera ( just ordered a nice outdoorsy camera backpack ) . just need to be aware that i have my camera on me and not crash!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...299286-new-feature-photography-tutorials.html

I would suggest checking this link out. It has a lot and I mean a lot of great information as well as links that will help you along the fun and expensive journey that is photography.

Below is how to get hopefully quality c&c
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-your-posts-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

So i have a question ( format based on shefjr 's link to C&C link) on a specific photo that I just posted. The night shot with the single tall building ( in relation to the rest of the buildings in the photo ). Some of the signs on the smaller buildings, specifically on the building to the left center ( north side of the main street ) . The sign is over exposed and also the billboard is over exposed - is there a way to get around this if i need the long exposure to get the rest of the shot? WOuld be nice for the sign to be readable ( if its a neon sign )

my settings for that shot where as followed;
-completely dark outside ( no sun, any light is just from the buildings/lights )
- ISO 200 (lowest my camera goes - may have to check the settings )
- f/16.0
- 25 second exposure
- 17mm focal length
- manual mode
- and some thing i have not read anywhere yet, just thought was a good idea - i put the 2 second timer on there so there was not a vibration from when i actually clicked the shutter

some areas were exposed , in my opinion , just fine, as others, like the signs i am questioning appeared to be over exposed...so i am wondering what the trick is for that? do it like i did and then adjust those small areas in post production? or under expose and then lighten the entire shot in post prodction? or is there a way to get what i want with the camera settings?

-thanks!

Myself and Scott are not the only two on the forum I swear. ;)

I don't typically respond to technical questions although I would say that I. This case there are two things that I would try. 1 either selective exposure adjustment pp or 2. A hrd type of photo.

I have two great links for night photography. Both are great resources.

1.sw1tchFX
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/276016-shooting-night-pictures-stars-stuff.html

2.manaheim
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...naheims-ultimate-guide-night-photography.html

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I don't often help with technical aspects of photography simply because there are times when I give out misinformation. If you want subjective c&c I can do that because that's all about opinion.

be ready for sometimes harsh/honest critique

You have just started, so there is no reason for harsh critisism. Just shoot, experiment, read books on composition and exposure and think about what you are doing and why. It is an exciting time - learning the basics and discovering your new wonderful camera capabilities. Once you have learned that, the learning curve becomes steeper :wink: Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a good start to me! As everyone has said, get out there and shoot with it. Apply what you're reading in the tutorial thread-there's some good stuff. The best teacher you can have is experience.

Have some fun taking photos, particularly on fully manual.
Assuming you are shooting in RAW, digital photos are usually better slightly under then over exposed.
2 second timer is a great alternative to a remote release. I can't think of why else it is there.

As for your photos: I find the shallow depth of field a little distracting for the food, but this has worked very well for the bike & the dog.

Most reactions

Back