Just looking for hints

BCW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

4438271042_3ba2887e3a_o.jpg

Thanks. I'm really thinking about turning photography into my major hobby (my knees just can't take soccer anymore!) I'm using a Canon Powershot and I'm finding myself using the manual settings more often than any automatic setting...I've pretty much decided on buying a DSLR of some sort in the next month (I'll save everyone from my tortured buying process..I'm sure everyone has done it themselves)..anyway, here's another photo that probably needs some good C&C!
3820560133_fe9bbf0221_b.jpg

brighten the sand up some and crop the bridge out of it

I disagree with cropping the bridge out. It adds foreground interest to the shot. It'd be a lot more boring without it. With the bright sun in the background, foreground elements will be underexposed. Basically, either properly expose the background and underexpose the foreground, or properly expose the foreground, but overexpose the background. Typically, the former is better when shooting sunsets like this.

Pretty nice work on the shot. The scene seems a little soft, but I am guessing you were hand-holding. I can't recommend a tripod enough for shots like this. Also, try to make sure not to center your horizons. Pick what you want to focus on (foreground or background) and make that take up around 2/3 of the frame. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but you'll see it referred to as one of the aspects of the Rule of Thirds.

Try cropping off the bottom of the pic a little to get those two post in the lower left corner out of the shot. I think it would leave enough of the bridge in there to where it wouldnt look bad. I agree leave the bridge though.

You said it was ok to edit so i went ahead and cropped it. My thinking behind it was crop out the post in the bottom left and some of the people in the right side of the shot. Also it has roughly the rule of thirds that Gaerek was talking about.
4438271042_3ba2887e3a_o-2.jpg

Cletus..I see what you did there. It makes a big difference by how much "cleaner" the photo looks. Thanks!

You said it was ok to edit so i went ahead and cropped it. My thinking behind it was crop out the post in the bottom left and some of the people in the right side of the shot. Also it has roughly the rule of thirds that Gaerek was talking about.
Just clone out the 2 little posts instead of loosing the bottom of the image. It's looks odd with the bridge that close to the bottom of the frame now.

I cloned out the posts and simulated a GND filter on the sky, which would allow more exposure on the foreground making an image that should more closely matches what your eye could see.

4EDIT438271042_3ba2887e3a_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for my butch photoshop skills, I was bored and decided to mess with it a bit. :lol: I am not implying this looks better, just different.

I just cloned out the posts, cropped out sky a bit to fit 3rds rule, and warmed up the white balance. If anything, the sand looks like sand instead of snow I guess. :lol: Let me know if you want me to take the photo down. :thumbup:

Just clone out the 2 little posts instead of loosing the bottom of the image. It's looks odd with the bridge that close to the bottom of the frame now.

I cloned out the posts and simulated a GND filter on the sky, which would allow more exposure on the foreground making an image that should more closely matches what your eye could see.

4EDIT438271042_3ba2887e3a_o.jpg
I dont have photoshop or anything so croppin was all i can do. I see what yur sayin about having the bridge that close to the bottom. It does look better keepin all of the bottom and gettin rid of the post.

Cletus..I see what you did there. It makes a big difference by how much "cleaner" the photo looks. Thanks!
Yur welcome. Im still new so im still learnin too. But those two things were the two things that were distractin me. I would get rid of that bird too if yur any good at photoshop.

Most reactions

Back