Just ordered Nikon D2Xs

iammagi36

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Nikon D2Xs. I didn't order any lenses because I wasn't sure what to get. Being that I sell homes I will be using the camera for photographing interiors of houses so I figure I'll need something with a wide angle. Perhaps with a zoom. Any suggestion? I'd also like to use the camera for more creative and commercial things but don't have any set goals yet.

Thank you,

Stephen

you could have accomplished this with a D200 or D300 for the quarter of the price, D2x in my opinion is more of a camera for in the field.

Whooa!!! way more camera than you will ever need. I am sorry if you are not sure what kind of lenses you will need I think you are putting the cart a little before the horse. I agree D200 or D300 will be more than enough for your purposes unless of course there are other things you are going to use it for.

Is there any way you can return it? I have the D2X... not good for photographing interiors... I guess you can do it, but with the new technology out with the D300 and D3 for less noise at higher ISOs - if you aren't planning on using flash (which is better to not use flash when photographing interiors unless you learn how to use flash more "naturally" which can be rather difficult and may require several expensive flashes and other equipment when you could just be shooting natural and available light in most situations for interiors and accomplish it wonderfully with a camera that handles high ISO better.

Is there any way you can return it? I have the D2X... not good for photographing interiors... I guess you can do it, but with the new technology out with the D300 and D3 for less noise at higher ISOs - if you aren't planning on using flash (which is better to not use flash when photographing interiors unless you learn how to use flash more "naturally" which can be rather difficult and may require several expensive flashes and other equipment when you could just be shooting natural and available light in most situations for interiors and accomplish it wonderfully with a camera that handles high ISO better.

My main motive for getting the camera is for artistic reasons. I used to have a Minolta film SLR years ago that was stolen and I missed the art of photography ever since. I'm not really on a budget so I figured the D2X would be the most versitile. All I was saying is as a matter of practicality I need something for interior shots. By no means did I buy the camera just for that. I wanted something I could grow with, if you know what I mean.

Please do not take this harshly, but I too feel that you made a pretty big mistake.

You paid a premium for old technology that was pretty much equalled or surpassed at many levels by the D300 for a tremendously lower cost. If you had the budget and wanted the best, a D3 was the place to be looking.

I too would see if you could change your order. The D300 is also sealed and would be a camera that you could live with for many years. With the money you saved going for a D300, you could get 1-2 very serious quality lenses!

Please do not take this harshly, but I too feel that you made a pretty big mistake.

You paid a premium for old technology that was pretty much equalled or surpassed at many levels by the D300 for a tremendously lower cost. If you had the budget and wanted the best, a D3 was the place to be looking.

I too would see if you could change your order. The D300 is also sealed and would be a camera that you could live with for many years. With the money you saved going for a D300, you could get 1-2 very serious quality lenses!

I would like to ask JodiO and Snyder why they bought the D2Xs?

Does the D2Xs have a live view mode? I was reading that it did for macro viewing or were they talking about the D300? I think I would like to see what I'm shooting on the screen.

No, The D2X does not have live view, you need to look at changing cameras. Like the other said, you paid a premium for old tech. The new D300 has 12 mp, better ISO range it's base speed is faster and can be boosted to 8FPS with the grip. As well it is offering 2 live view modes.
We are not trying to discourage you, but if you have the ability to retun the camera now you might be happier with the D3 or D300

BTW I called digicombos and they said it shipped today but I have 10 days to return it without a penalty.

Why did you buy the D2X?

I would like to ask JodiO and Snyder why they bought the D2Xs?

Well the reason I use a D2X is because I am a photojournalist and I am in combat situations sometimes and I need a camera that can take a beating by hitting the ground and still take photos, that being said it was a newest camera on the market when purchased.

Well the reason I use a D2X is because I am a photojournalist and I am in combat situations sometimes and I need a camera that can take a beating by hitting the ground and still take photos, that being said it was a newest camera on the market when purchased.

If you didn't already have the D2X which one would you choose?

Another thought, if you really want a D2x, when the D3x starts to ship soon, and the D300, I would bet the D2x and D200 start to drop in price...

Just a thought.

BTW I called digicombos and they said it shipped today but I have 10 days to return it without a penalty.

Why did you buy the D2X?

Good news... I too would return it. If you really are not on a budget, then get a D3... full frame sensor, unreal high ISO performance, all kinds of cool stuff, plus a next generation sensor...

I too would rather have a D300 than a D2X, since it is much newer technology.

My main motive for getting the camera is for artistic reasons. I used to have a Minolta film SLR years ago that was stolen and I missed the art of photography ever since. I'm not really on a budget so I figured the D2X would be the most versitile. All I was saying is as a matter of practicality I need something for interior shots. By no means did I buy the camera just for that. I wanted something I could grow with, if you know what I mean.

If money is no option, get the D3 (or even the D300).... it will work for you WAY better than the D2X.

Like I said, I have the D2X, it has served me well, but there is no way I would buy another one when there is better technology out there. That's why I am getting the D3.

Most reactions

Back