Just ordered Nikon D2Xs

If money is no option, get the D3 (or even the D300).... it will work for you WAY better than the D2X.

Like I said, I have the D2X, it has served me well, but there is no way I would buy another one when there is better technology out there. That's why I am getting the D3.

I ordered the D2Xs for about $3500 at digicombos.com I see the D3 at 1wayphoto http://1wayphoto.com/products.asp?dept_id=10314&product_id=13487 for $3799 so sure I can afford the extra couple hundered, but now the question is the D3 that much better to pay more than twice the price? Why are you going for the D3 over the D300?

BTW what price quotes on the D3 have you goten so far?

BTW I called digicombos and they said it shipped today but I have 10 days to return it without a penalty.

Why did you buy the D2X?

Why did I buy the D2X??? :lmao: Cause it was an amazing camera when it came out! It's now outdated, now that new technology is out there.

Umm... why wouldn't I?

I'm a full time professional photographer. At the time, it had amazing speed - while I shoot children, babies, and maternity clients for money, I also shoot nature and sports. Nothing like the rat-tat-tat of action shots and being able to be out in the rain since the body was watertight (not waterproof, but sealed very well). I also love a rugged body - you have no idea how clumsy I am, I just took a nice fall on a bunch of rocks a couple weeks ago while shooting nature. I also shoot on horseback....

I also have the D200 and it is fine, but I have never "become one with it" the way I have with the D2X. I am currently using the D200 until my D3 is in my hands as my D2X's toggle broke and I haven't sent it in for repair.

And I am sure you are going to ask - why are you getting a D3? Well, to be honest, I have been waiting two years for a D3 to come out, and I can't be happier - full frame and low noise at high ISO - will fulfill my every wish.

I ordered the D2Xs for about $3500 at digicombos.com I see the D3 at 1wayphoto http://1wayphoto.com/products.asp?dept_id=10314&product_id=13487 for $3799 so sure I can afford the extra couple of hundered buck, but now the question is the D3 that much better to pay more than twice the price? Why are you going for the D3 over the D300?

BTW what price quotes on the D3 have you goten so far?

Don't buy from there. Use someone reputable like BH Photo - lots of scams and grey market crap out there, don't fall for it.

The D3 is supposed to be 5 grand - that is what I paid for the D2X years ago.

The people that have D2X's today I am pretty sure they have them becuase the D300 or D3s were simply not out then.

The D300 and D3's are very recent releases from Nikon, but already are shaking up the photography industry with what they do and how well they do it.

The D3 appears to be an amazing camera and thats no doubt. What are the main differences between the D200 and D300 though, the 300 uses a CMOS sensor correct? aside from that are their any big differences. I see everyone saying get the D3 or D300 there is a huge difference between the D3 and D300 if I understand correctly. Wouldn't it be better to compare the D300 to the D200?

And to answer the question there is no reason to buy a D2x if money is not an option the D3 sounds to be a superior camera.

how about this, get the D300, not the D3, and get some AMAZING lenses. fast, VR, the works.

When I geared up I went for a couple of D200's and stayed away from the D2x simply because for that kind of money I was waiting for a full frame from Nikon. The next purchase will likely be a D3 and the D200's will be backup. The equipment acquisition plan has been in progress for a while.

The D3 appears to be an amazing camera and thats no doubt. What are the main differences between the D200 and D300 though, the 300 uses a CMOS sensor correct? aside from that are their any big differences. I see everyone saying get the D3 or D300 there is a huge difference between the D3 and D300 if I understand correctly. Wouldn't it be better to compare the D300 to the D200?

And to answer the question there is no reason to buy a D2x if money is not an option the D3 sounds to be a superior camera.
No, not really. The D3 is an evolutionary leap forward; the D300 is more of an improved D2X. It still has the APS-size sensor, except its high-ISO performance is better than the D2X, it has live preview, shoots faster, and has a bigger LCD, 51-point Autofocus, and Sensor Cleaning. It's a better camera in every regard.

Wouldn't it be better to compare the D300 to the D200?

Ofcourse not, compare the D3 & D300 with the D2X, nothing else is in the frame, the D2X is only in it because he just bought one.
I'd be looking closely at D300 v D2X, if the D300 isn't sufficiently superior (which it probably is) its D3 ftw.
Ish gods, I wish they'd release the soddin things, its all still hype till somebody that doesn't care shoots them in anger...

Don't buy from there. Use someone reputable like BH Photo - lots of scams and grey market crap out there, don't fall for it.

The D3 is supposed to be 5 grand - that is what I paid for the D2X years ago.

I just received the D2Xs today. It must be a gray market one because they included a one year aftermarket warrantee even though the guy swore that if I register it on the Nikon website it will take. It looks and feels like the real thing. I thought gray markets were just not imported properly. Are you saying it's not the same camera?

Anyhow they agreed to take it back. Hope I don't have any problems with them.

I ordered the D2Xs for about $3500 at digicombos.com I see the D3 at 1wayphoto http://1wayphoto.com/products.asp?dept_id=10314&product_id=13487 for $3799 so sure I can afford the extra couple hundered, but now the question is the D3 that much better to pay more than twice the price? Why are you going for the D3 over the D300?

OMG... do NOT buy from there!!!! it's probably an import with no technical support whatsoever! You might get the camera and all of the menus are in Japanese. It looks like a good deal... but it's a facade'.

Look for it at B&H. I agree about the D300 thing. You can get a nice camera and a couple lenses for the same cost.

If money isn't an issue... pm me and I'll give you my address... I have the D200 and really need the D3 (B&H version though!) =o)

Off topic JodiO: I checked out your sites and you are my current new photo hero! I am in a neighboring state and if you ever need a second shooter... I'd love to work beside you. Love your stuff!

And I take hand-me-down D2's as well. (I have no shame... I'll ask!) =o)

Why are you going for the D3 over the D300?

I think it best that you do some reading online. This information is repeated many times over the internet instead of having us all repeat this here. Grab a mug of coffee, do a google for Nikon D3 and enjoy reading.

The biggest news is that the D3 has industry leading INCREDIBLE high ISO noise control (amongst other things like incredible FPS rates, etc...). If you need to ask what ISO noise is or how it is important, I will be frank... you do not need the D3.

Also do not expect to get any kind of discount on a D3. It is so revolutionary and just newly released that there are people that have been on waiting lists at least 3-6 months BEFORE the camera was even released and they did not even know exactly what the manufacturer suggested prices would be!

the D300 is more of an improved D2X. It still has the APS-size sensor, except its high-ISO performance is better than the D2X, it has live preview, shoots faster, and has a bigger LCD, 51-point Autofocus, and Sensor Cleaning. It's a better camera in every regard

Not to beat a dead horse but I dont realy understand. The D3 seems to be years ahead of the D300 if I read things correctly. Is a larger LCD really that important, is sensor cleaning really that important, who cares about live previews Id rather look through my viewfinder, and a 51 point autofcus seems overkill, my D200 has 11 and thats enought for me. Yeah the D300 may shoot 8FPS which is nice but I dont think any of the things listed would put it in the same category as the D3 which has a full frame(very useful) and very low noise at high ISO's these things really matter those other ones are more of gadgets. I still feel the D300 is more inline with the D200, better but more in line.

D200 < D2X < D300 < D3

I cant see where you draw parallels between D200 & D300 apart from the number ...3...and maybe the colour black ?

...and yellow..

cos thats about the only similarity

You make the D300 sound like a D200 firmware upgrade.

*Help*...I'm trapped in a flog the dead horse competition

Most reactions

New Topics

Back