Just some DOF stuff

vStiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As much as I am predominately a landscape shooter, my secret love is DOF work. I think it's a branch that only other photographers fully appreciate. Little bit of technical and aesthetic combined. Thanks for looking / CC.

Attachments

• seven.jpg
    seven.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 37
  • barebones.jpg
    barebones.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 42
  • cattail.jpg
    cattail.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 35
  • MIL.jpg
    MIL.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 34
Nice shots!

I think there are a few things that could be improved on though. Have you thought of trying a tilt-shift? or possibly a lensbaby? I think these would open more compositional technique.

Seven - Good, but the oof lights draw too much attention to the RHS and pull away from the focal point with nothing to balance the image. I'd have liked to see a triangle here with the eye moving between a primary, secondary, and tertiary focal points keeping the eye in the image.

Barebones - Nice, but I think needs focus stacked to really have impact. The oof nearest the camera pull too much attention and kinda look a bit careless. In a carefully composed image I'm looking for the eye to be led in.

Cattail - Strong composition here, but I'd burn the background down by 1/3 of a stop ir so, currently the whites compete a bit too much with the cattail to return the eye.

MIL - A difficult one. Compositionally this is pulling my eye towards the centre of the frame, but there is nothing there. Thereis a nice curve to the DOF, with the in focus flowers, but this is where I think a DOF that's a little askew could have led the eye to the bright background bokeh if it had been slightly shifted.

Overall these are really very good, but IMO with slight compositional tweeks could be exellent or outstanding.

Nice shots!

I think there are a few things that could be improved on though. Have you thought of trying a tilt-shift? or possibly a lensbaby? I think these would open more compositional technique.

Seven - Good, but the oof lights draw too much attention to the RHS and pull away from the focal point with nothing to balance the image. I'd have liked to see a triangle here with the eye moving between a primary, secondary, and tertiary focal points keeping the eye in the image.

Barebones - Nice, but I think needs focus stacked to really have impact. The oof nearest the camera pull too much attention and kinda look a bit careless. In a carefully composed image I'm looking for the eye to be led in.

Cattail - Strong composition here, but I'd burn the background down by 1/3 of a stop ir so, currently the whites compete a bit too much with the cattail to return the eye.

MIL - A difficult one. Compositionally this is pulling my eye towards the centre of the frame, but there is nothing there. Thereis a nice curve to the DOF, with the in focus flowers, but this is where I think a DOF that's a little askew could have led the eye to the bright background bokeh if it had been slightly shifted.

Overall these are really very good, but IMO with slight compositional tweeks could be exellent or outstanding.
Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it. I will definitely take notes and try to apply your suggestons the next time.

-

weepete touched important points proving that DoF is a
compositional tool and rarely an end in itself. The thinking,
creative process should happen before SR.
Whatever that means, sure 👍 If you dont like them, just say you dont like them. Dont sly insult me with your ' creative process should happen before SR' I've often wondered how people with mediocre skills can criticize others but hey, its the internet ; everyone is the best photgrapher, right? 🙄

Whatever that means, sure 👍 If you dont like them, just say you dont like them. Dont sly insult me with your ' creative process should happen before SR' I've often wondered how people with mediocre skills can criticize others but hey, its the internet ; everyone is the best photgrapher, right? 🙄
Oops… I think you got me completely wrong. :disillusionment:

If you dont like them, just say you dont like them.
I was agreeing on a member's comment on the technique and
not reacting to the images.

Dont sly insult me with your ' creative process should happen before SR'
Sorry but that was not an insult… just saying that considerations
about DoF should be done prior to SR because in PP they rarely
achieve decent results without generating questionable artefacts.

I've often wondered how people with mediocre skills can criticize others but hey, its the internet ; everyone is the best photgrapher, right? 🙄

Most reactions

New Topics

Back