Juvenile Male Cardinal and Golden Crowned Kinglet

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spent some time shooting birds and these are two of the more "uncommon" birds I caught :)

First is a Juvenile Male Cardinal, there are a couple around in the inbetween stage of orange to red. He was pretty deep in the branches and this is the one with the least branches in the foreground.

Second, I hear these little guys in the trees a lot but they are usually out of reach or too fast (they stay at the tops of the cedars most of the time) I was thrilled to see one in range and caught a half decent shot out of the 4 frames I got of it :)

Juvenile Male Cardinal by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Golden Crowned Kinglet by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Yeah, it can be tough to get a good Kinglet shot; that one's pretty nice, though!

It's funny to hear someone call Cardinals "uncommon," as they are probably one of the MOST common birds in my yard. Last winter, at one point, I had probably two dozen of them! And they stick around all year long here too, but boy are they ever ugly when they molt!!
On the other hand, Dark-eyed Juncos are one that is around here in the winter, but I rarely see them, and it seems like I remember they are pretty common up your way.

Hey Sharon, thanks!

I actually meant just that he was a juvie ;) The cardinals are pretty common year round here, we usually have a pair that hang around and have had a bunch of babies but they chase any lone males or females off, this year they had a bunch of boys! Yes, we definitely have tons of Juncos in the spring and winter!

those turned out quite nice.

Wonderful! Particularly the kinglet.

Nice shots, especially the Kinglet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back