bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At first I thought I was crazy but it seems these little guys do this a lot...they surf from about 200 feet out right up to the shoreline then wing their way back 200 feet and do it again, and again, and again. They're like little kids on belly boards.

Attachments

• Bat-Rays-Surfing.jpg
    Bat-Rays-Surfing.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 179
awesome, great catch for sure. I never have much luck getting good pics of things under the water.

I was on a pier. I had my Nikon AW100 P&S with me but was unsure of the sting status of these guys, so a venture into the water with thirty of them prancing about was not a comfortable thought. This shot is more representative of the size as the body is about 36" across, thus the tail closer to 36", both measurements give or take 6". These were shot well after the sun had set so the clarity isn't what I would have liked. I am going to try again today if the pod is still lingering.

Attachments

• Manta-or-Devil.jpg
    Manta-or-Devil.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 139
They are strange animals for sure. Seeing the ripples of sand under the water really makes this one work.

Mantas typically feed at night. They're filter feeders and eat most whatever they can filter from the water. This is an interesting behavior as I wouldn't think a sandy bottom offered an abundance of food. The Mantas were probably using the wave action to minimise their energy requirement for passing water across their feeding filters and gills. Mantas tend to feed in a straight line. Nice shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back