K&Cs wedding - part one

spencer87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.spencermhall.com
this was my first wedding, and all in all i think it went very well (better than I expected, to be honest). Preparations at the bride's house got off to a late start because her car broke down, and then the makeup artist did a horrible job on the bride. I was thankful for my background in makeup and skincare, because the bride's sister and I ended up redoing her makeup! Aside from that, things went very smoothly. Here are a few of the prep shots, C&C is always welcome.

158082448_f432114d3b.jpg

158082833_0779257e25.jpg
158082918_775658ebe5.jpg

158083546_f43e86d39f.jpg

158083624_f9630c5fa4.jpg

158083712_76b3b90f9a.jpg
158110069_155fafa555.jpg

She has very pretty handwriting:) I really like that shot on the bottom right of the first posting. She looks like the quintessential happy/nervous bride! Was she a friend of yours, or was this your first "stranger" wedding?

Love the vows shot.

Nice work, I also think that shot stands out...great capture of emotion.

I think you did an awesome job, especially for the first time! You asked for critique, so I'll give you a bit (but keep in mind this is in no way to take away from your wonderful photos, but to help you push it up just a notch).
Your black and white could use a bit more contrast when you encounter flat lighting. Just bump it a tad. Otherwise I love the tones.
You've got really nice dof control, but I would like a bit smaller dof on details (unless it includes body parts).
Another thing to watch is your crop values. You might want to shoot a tad wider, keep the raw intact, and show the jpeg with your revised crop, that way you can always go back to the raw when cropping for an 8x10.
But back to the pics.......wonderful. The bride will love these, and I hope you liked the experience.

elsaspet said:
I think you did an awesome job, especially for the first time! You asked for critique, so I'll give you a bit (but keep in mind this is in no way to take away from your wonderful photos, but to help you push it up just a notch).
Your black and white could use a bit more contrast when you encounter flat lighting. Just bump it a tad. Otherwise I love the tones.
You've got really nice dof control, but I would like a bit smaller dof on details (unless it includes body parts).
Another thing to watch is your crop values. You might want to shoot a tad wider, keep the raw intact, and show the jpeg with your revised crop, that way you can always go back to the raw when cropping for an 8x10.
But back to the pics.......wonderful. The bride will love these, and I hope you liked the experience.

thanks so much for such a thoughtful critique!
b&w- the same comment was made on another forum, I actually converted these and then toned down the contrast because they looked to contrast-y on my monitor! i just got the printed proofbook though and they do look a bit dull compared to what I have onscreen. ill have to play around with them some more.

thank you for the other comments on DOF and cropping, I am trying to learn from these so every little bit helps :)

Most reactions

Back