K-mount

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So far my collection of lenses has been driven by the acquisition of more capability, e.g., telephoto or speed, rather than better glass.

A lot of hype is devoted to the idea that the "kit lens" that came with the camera is probably no good and should be replaced ASAP. However, when it comes to my Pentax and other K-mount cameras the idea of a "better lens" has a problem, viz., does such a "better lens" even exist?

New lenses all seem to possess some degree of automation, e.g., auto-focus or auto-exposure. The attendant prices and descriptions seem to suggest that these lenses offer better automation, not better glass. Automation is something I can do without.

Likewise, the fare on eBay seems to be just other glass, not better glass.

Even if I find a better lens, how would I know?

Better than "what, exactly?" You refer to your lens collection. Without knowing exactly what is in said collection, I don't see how anybody could give you any kind of meaningful answer. Pentax has a fairly broad range of lenses. Zeiss makes lenses in K-mount. Some very fine Zeiss lenses are in fact available in K-mount, and they are all manual focusing lenses.

As Darrel said its tough to know without knowing what is in you collection. In regards to older manual kmounts, they predate he whole marketing notion of high end versus low end and setting them apart with some sort of markings.... Canon white paint lenses come to mind. You simply have to do your research. Some of my favorites include he 85mm and the 40mm pancake.... lenses purchased on recommendation of a good friend with no regrets

FWIW I have some Pentax "K" (1st gen K-mount) glass for sale. Don't know if this is allowed, if not please remove.

Dave

Better than "what, exactly?" You refer to your lens collection. Without knowing exactly what is in said collection, I don't see how anybody could give you any kind of meaningful answer. Pentax has a fairly broad range of lenses. Zeiss makes lenses in K-mount. Some very fine Zeiss lenses are in fact available in K-mount, and they are all manual focusing lenses.

• SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm (Kit lens for K-1000)
  • SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.5-4.7 28-80mm (Kit lens for PZ-20)
  • PROMASTER MC ZOOM 1:3.4-4.8 28-70mm (Kit lens for PROMASTER 2500 PK)
  • PROMASTER AF 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm
  • TAMRON 1:4-5.6 70-210mm

Even if I find a better lens, how would I know?

The images it produced would be more to your liking.
That's a post-purchase judgment call. If I'm going to be spending big $$$ I'd like to have some pre-purchase expectation that my money is well spent. Getting your money back post-purchase is like pulling your own teeth with a hammer and chisel.

That's a post-purchase judgment call. If I'm going to be spending big $$$ I'd like to have some pre-purchase expectation that my money is well spent. Getting your money back post-purchase is like pulling your own teeth with a hammer and chisel.

Most reputable dealers such as KEH or B&H accept returns without hassle.

• SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm (Kit lens for K-1000)
  • SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.5-4.7 28-80mm (Kit lens for PZ-20)
  • PROMASTER MC ZOOM 1:3.4-4.8 28-70mm (Kit lens for PROMASTER 2500 PK)
  • PROMASTER AF 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm
  • TAMRON 1:4-5.6 70-210mm

The 50mm should be fine, not a very fast 50 but image quality ought to be good. Most people like to have a fast 50 since it's the cheapest focal length to have that speed at (eg. 50/1.4).

The Pentax zoom I have and it's easily bested by just about any Pentax prime.

Easiest way to go is get some primes one by one, if you're finding they give you a better result than what you've got, get some more. Pentax-A, M and K lenses are all excellent in terms of image quality, some individual lenses have more cultish followings but they're all good performers. IMO build quality goes up as you go back in time (in reverse order of what I listed). I think M's probably tend to be the best bang for the buck but there are plenty of variables. A 28/2.8 might be a good place to start, since you don't have a fast wide lens, and it's pretty amenable pricewise generally.

One prime I'd avoid is the Asahi Pentax 135/2.8, it was a budget prime and was not part of the A/M/K lineage (all marked "SMC Pentax").

I don't think there is any harm in getting some opinions before committing to a purchase, most of us don't have the time or funding to buy every lens out there and return all but the best.

Dave

Most reactions

Back