K10D or K20D

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a self-proclaimed pentaxian. I'm currently using a Pentax istDL and am ready to upgrade. Does anyone know if the K20D is worth its almost double price over the K10D? What are your favorite features of both??

I would actually also like to know this since i am in the EXACT same situation. I think i heard that you can use any lens pentax has ever produced on the new 20D so thats also a plus, but ya i would also like to know if the 20d is worth twice the price of the 10d

I've read that you could use every pentax mount lens on the K20D too, but I thought it was already the case with the previous pentax... is it new?
And I've read they are compatible with M42... that would be a nice plus ;)

Hello, both can use all Pentax 35mm lenses. For the M42 you will need an adaptor which goes for something like $50 if i am not mistaking.

The k20D looks like a really fun toy. Right now I only have the GX-10 which is the Samsung K10D and i am very happy with it.

From what i understand the K10D doesn't have any features that the K20D doesn't have. I have loooked at quite a few sample pictures and i can't say that there is much difference at low ISO.

The real difference comes up at ISO 800 and above. First of all the K10D doesn't go higher than ISO 1600 and honestly, i never go there. It is very noisy, even when shooting raw. The K20D on the other hand can produce some very good shots at ISO 3200. Those are, from what i have seen, about at noisy as my GX-10 at ISO 800!

So, do you plan on using the high ISOs a lot? If you can stick with 400 or 800 as a last resort, save your money and buy some very good lens. I mean for the price difference you can start with the 16-45 f4 or, with a little extra cash, the DA* 16-50 f2.8 right away and never touch the kit lens and THIS will make more of a difference in the Image quality than shooting with the K20D.

Well, for now, I'm considering the different possibilities.
I own two camera, the Minolta 7D and Canon 30D. With the Canon, I have some very expensive prime that I am very happy with. I'm just disapointed by the 30D behaviour at high ISO...
I guess a lot of people must be either shooting in JPEG, or at low ISO, but me, in the other hand, I shoot in RAW and I often have to shoot at ISO 400 or higher, and at 400, I can already some anoying noise, when it's not the case on my minolta, and at 800 it's really anoying even with noise ninja. 1600 is not that bad, but just still a little worse than 800. By the way we can use like ISO 1000, 640 etc. with the 30D, I find this pretty neat, if only the result wasn't that disapointing :p
Well, I would have to shoot with a K20D and see how it handle ISO 800 and 1600, and if he does, then I will go for it.
Otherwise I will have to wait for the 5D to be repleaced, and get either the replacement, either the 5D that will have dropped price. And in the meantime, I'm wondering if I will either sell the 30D and get new lens for the minolta, or sell the minolta and save up for the 5D :p
If I sell both Minolta and 30D i would have something like 1500€, that's 2300$...

Most reactions

Back