K9 SOCIALIZATION TRAINING

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I would take time to examine where gun dog trainee JACKSON currently stands relative to his overall training. We are near the juncture of JACKSON hitting the 5 month mark with regard to his age, and nearing the 3 month mark relative to his having begun training under my supervision. Each dog is pretty much on their own schedule developmentally and given my many years of experience, I have an adept sense of where they fall within the spectrum of natural ability. In my opinion, JACKSON is truly a wonderful pup with extremely high potential to excel in both the field sports and as an outstanding companion K9. Given JACKSON'S potential, the aim is to optimize all opportunity ties to foster the qualities sought in forging him into a gun dog of distinction.

As we move forward in JACKSON'S training, it is both necessary and desirable that the pup is well socialized with other K9's and doing so is a critical phase of development in any well rounded gun dog and K9 companion animal.

View attachment 170162
HEADS OR TAILS ~ I have been working extensively with JACKSON specific to K9 socialization with incremental and steady progress being achieved. JACKSON was quite fearful of other K9’s just one month ago and the need to address that matter sooner as opposed to later was critical. This photograph taken on 3/14/19 shows JACKSON within mere inches of 1 year old MAC whom was purposely commanded to assume a submissive and non-threatening posture so as to put JACKSON more at ease during socialization exercises. JACKSON has been demonstrating steady progress with each session and I intend to keep this process a primary focus of his immediate training sessions.

View attachment 170161
TTF JACKSON LAD O’ CLOONFINISH and HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH are seen running side by side, a recent development within the dynamics of our training pack. I believe that JACKSON perceives TRAD as less threatening than he does MAC ( and he is likely spot on). Both TRAD and MAC are great with JACKSON, TRAD being largely indifferent, MAC being more inclined to play and roughhouse which could present as aggression to JACKSON. I have by design placed both TRAD and MAC into submissive / non-threatening postures and allowed JACKSON the opportunity to initiate with them on his own terms. This approach has been very effective in putting JACKSON more at ease whilst optimizing the opportunity for positive interaction.

View attachment 170163
ACCEPTANCE ~ JACKSON has readily been accepted by both TRAD and MAC as part of our “training pack”. Here, MAC and JACKSON are seen sniffing the ground in close proximity to one another, neither of them particularly worried with regard to the other’s immediate proximity.

View attachment 170164
JACKSON ON RETRIEVE ~ JACKSON now at just under five months old is doing very nice single marked retrieves out to near 60 yards. JACKSON is highly focused, very driven, bird motivated, and is showing an early understanding of the need to remain steady on the platform until being released by name to make the retrieve. In addition to the development of the proper mechanics of the retrieve, we are instilling a love of this work within JACKSON and I utilize the retrieve as a reward for his progress made during K9 socialization work. We are keeping JACKSON motivated both physically and intellectually, and we are cultivating the retrieve as the ultimate high value and self fulfilling reward.

All said, I have made an incredible amount of progress early on with JACKSON and we are in a very advantageous position to make great progress over the next several months. As we move forward, we will at about JACKSON’S 6 to 8 months of age begin focusing on formalizing obedience, e-collar conditioning to follow , hold conditioning, force fetch conditioning, gunfire conditioning (desensitization), introduction to live birds, and introduction to water. Lots of great work to look forward to in the development of this most special wee pup of very high potential .

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Most reactions

Back