Katherine's Bridals - Utah State Capitol Building

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by twocolor, Jun 11, 2008.

1. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ironically, while I was shooting, a security guard came up to me and asked if I was the photographer (what gave it away, the camera around my neck, the tripod, or the reflector I had in my other hand:confused:) when I responded that I was, he said "Did you pay your preservation fee?" um, WHAT??? I told him that when I called and booked my time, they hadn't said anything about a preservation fee. He asked who I had talked to, I told him and he just said "okay, then, go ahead." He left us alone the rest of the night!

So, has anyone ever had to pay a preservation fee??????:lmao:

2. twocolor

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that here in Utah, people just assume that it's never going to happen here. I think we're a little naive that way. I think thats one of the best things about living here, everybody you see thinks the best of everyone they see. Very friendly and trusting here! One night I left my garage door open ALL night. The kids had left the doors to my car wide open, and my purse and car keys were in the car. When I woke up in the morning and noticed what I had done, I panicked, afraid of what I was going to find. But everything was as it should be. WOW!

3. Jim H

Jim H TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah ... but only seems to be with a pro rig. Could have a hundred cell-cams and digi point & shoots ... but the person with the pro rig will be the one that gets hassled

You do have it lucky there. Back when i lived in Minneapolis plenty of cases of burglary in broad daylight breaking down doors and windows.

btw .. I too forgot to C&C the images.

#1 looks like its on the cusp of blowing out - that lamp is kind of distracting. Were you going for the series of them leading of of frame?

#2-3, 5-9 look well exposed. That wedding dress is a crisp white not gray or blown. The flower colors add an excellent element and don't distract away from the subject

#4 Im sure you already know about the BG ... leave it at that. I like the leading lines created with the banister and the camera tilt. My only wish is that she would have tilted her torso camera right.

4. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think #7 is pretty neat:)

5. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also love 7 the best! Neat leading lines!

In a couple of them her face just seems a little dark to me (although I'm at work and it could be my crappy monitor) especially in three and four.

But I love the set! Gorgeous setting with a gorgeous bride! Can't go wrong! :D

6. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not really into these. 2, 8 and 9 look soft while most of the others have an unbalanced feel and dark shadows on what should be focal points. At least you don't have giant logos plastered all over them though. You might want to study fill flash techniques which will help you balance your photos and give you better prints with less retouching.

7. twocolor

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry, but as I go back and study these, I really don't see any dark shadows. The ones that you say are soft, have had some skin softening technics done on them to remove skin blemishes and make the bride have that porcelin skin that every woman wants to have. If you take a look at her eyes (the most important part of any photo) you'll see that they are crisp and in focus. The others were taken from far enough away, #7 was taken with a telephoto lens from the third floor balcony, that a fill flash wouldn't have done anything at all. And, I'm not sure that they need them. I'm honestly surprised by your critique. Usually I agree to some extent with the critique I get, and I try to use the critique on my next shoot, but I just don't see any "dark shadows"

8. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Your flash doesn't have to be attached to your camera to be used. And especially with a white dress (very distracting), lighting should be used to bring attention to the face. And you can't tell me that you've never heard of balancing flash with ambient light. I'm sorry if I've surprised you with some critical comments, but all this "great job!" stuff is not helping you.

Here is a sample of what I think is balanced lighting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22790325@N04/2575910918/sizes/m/