Katz Eye focusing screens Review:

I've been using a cheap diagonal split prism focus screen in my K10 for a long time now, and I've become used to the darkening of the hemispheres during small apertures, but maybe I should look into getting a Katz Eye anyway.

Is there anyone here who's used both regular screens and Katz Eye? Is it really that much better?

By the way, for the people who've never used a split-screen: After using a split prism screen, I will probably never, and I mean never go back to a regular screen. These things are just too useful, even with their drawbacks.

Last edited:
By regular you mean regular split prisms?

I have one in the FE and I must say I prefer it. I also like the older Pentax camera's screens. It just seems like they are more clearly defined. Especially the Nikon FE where the split prism itself is sharp all the time to allow trouble free alignment.

In comparison the Katz Eye screen the prism defocuses along with the rest of the screen making it harder to focus. I now prefer the FE screen's split prism despite it being darker and the hemisphere darkening at higher apertures (as a result of it staying sharp).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I want to try this, let me know how it goes. For $30 I might try this on my D40 and invest in some MF glass. How would you go about cutting down the K3 screen? and is there a tutorial for placing it in the camera?

I talked to him about it, and instead he picked up the D700, which he feels didn't need it. So it didn't get done.

As for a tutorial, there is a pdf available at the Katzeye website, which details the procedure.

Yes, I am still interested in this, but cannot budget for the extra cost at the moment.

Most reactions

Back