Katzeye

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know these have been discussed here before, but I still can't make the decision.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Canon-DSLRs--cat_canon.html

I manual focus alot with my 30D and have been considering getting the Katzeye split-screen with cross hairs and brightener (total a bit more than $200). I'm nervous about putting it in myself, but my camera shop's repair tech (who I trust) will do it for about $25.

So ... thoughts? Is the screen worth it? Will I miss the cross hairs if I don't get them?

Last edited:
I thought yes:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108875

Depends on the crosshairs. My camera had them in an LCD overlay in the viewfinder, and they are turned on permanently, so they may be worth getting.

Thanks for re-posting the URL cuz I could'nt find it. I think I'm going to do this when I scrape the $$ together. Still debating the optibrite treatment - I figure that since I'm spending this much, another $50 isn't outrageous if it has a chance of helping. I'm not sure which grids to get, but likely will get the simple cross-hairs.

To be honest I'd much prefer rule of thirds markings. The D200's markings are quarters and are useful only for lining up horizons. I use my top and bottom, right and left focus points to roughly mean thirds when I'm carefully composing.

I just had a little e-mail exchange with Rachel Katz. I asked her if there were any plans for a 45 degree angle on the split. She says they have lots of requests for that, but they aren't able to do it yet. We also talked about grids. I dunno ... think I might skip the grids altogether -- not sure they're worth the $ as I usually don't have trouble with alignment or placement. Gotta keep thinking about this ... not ready to order yet anyway.

I like shooting with the thirds grid quite allot. I don't like crosshairs much. That's just me though - not sure how it helps you at all. :p

I like shooting with the thirds grid quite allot. I don't like crosshairs much. That's just me though - not sure how it helps you at all. :p

You have the Katzeye? Do you like it?

Most reactions

Back