Keep My 50D or "Upgrade"?

jakezori

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had a couple of offers on my 9,000 shutter count 50D (the highest being $500 for the body only)and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm tempted to sell the 50d and snag a T3i for 2 reasons. 1) It is a more updated camera 2) It shoots video.

That said, I seldom have need for video. Oh great camera gurus, what shall I do? :hail:

If you don't know...how are we supposed to make the decision for you? :scratch:

Personally, I don't think I could easily go from something like the 50D, down to a Rebel. The ergonomics and controls are just too different.

Having had a 50D I bought a 550d (t2i and same sensor as t3i) as a backup. I rarely after that used the 50d as I found image quality and metering better on the 550d. Having said that the 50d is a much nicer camera to hold and use with much faster access to main controls. If you are happy with the photos your 50d gives and are not really pushed on video I'd recommend keeping it

I agree! Down grading is a bad idea. I made the same mistake by downgrading from a DSLR to a bridge camera.

At the time my wife was pregnant, we were planning our wedding and we were in negotiations for our first house so I thought it was a good use at the time but I've regretted it ever since.

Also, yes the Ti is a good camera but it has nothing on the 50D and if you downgrade you will most definitely notice the diffrence. The Ti I think is an entry leve and (no offence) it would be very foolish of you to downgrade.

why not upgrade to a 7D? If you can't afford brand new (1000 bucks) you can get it use really cheap. Basically 7D is 50D mark II, while t2i, t3i, t4i are all downgrades from 50d body style

I would love a 7D, but I can't find any used "really cheap" ones.

Canon T3i vs 50D - Our Analysis

My only real concerns according to this are shutter lag, shutter speed, and FPS (when shooting photos).

Having a video capability is quite tempting for family events. (does the video auto focus when changing focal lengths?)

Also, according to this the T3i has lower noise at high ISO and "slightly better image quality"

I don't know what to do!

Is that shutter lag a noticeable difference?

Last edited:
jakezori said:
Having a video capability is quite tempting for family events. (does the video auto focus when changing focal lengths?)

I don't believe so. That's one the they added to the t4i.

sovietdoc said:
why not upgrade to a 7D? If you can't afford brand new (1000 bucks) you can get it use really cheap. Basically 7D is 50D mark II, while t2i, t3i, t4i are all downgrades from 50d body style

Basically not the same.. the 5D mark ii is a full frame camera...once you experience this, you will never look back!!

9000 photos on your 50D? I have 77,000 on mine and it works just as good as day 1. I would just keep working with it until Canon releases their more entry level 5D MK III that's being talked about.

chris82 said:
The 5D markIII is entry level? Surely not? It can't be!... Can it?

I believe he meant canon may release a full frame entry level ive seen rumors for it

Still can't decide what to do. Somebody say something like "this model breaks after 1 hour of use" so I can decide. lol

My friend has a t2i, which I'm assuming is quite comparable to the t3i, so I am going to try it out and see what I think.

I skimmed this real quick so I could reply.. and what I caught was, your options are 50D for a t3i? NO! Unless video was something you mostly do, and I also caught its not, correct? I have a 50D with around the same shutter count as you. 50D is a great cam, its durable magnesium alloy body is a tank. The Rebel line is for beginners who shoot pictures of their families at theme parks. 50D shoots much faster, the build is better, focuses quickly with good focus points - its an all around better camera. This might even help you - Canon T3i vs 50D - Our Analysis

Most reactions

New Topics

Back