KENDAL CALLING

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well today i arrived home from the 3 day music festival in the lake district in england

Kendal Calling

over the 3 days of the festival after i had been given my press pass (the silly woman forgot to cross off my greenroom access, score for me :D) i managed to take over 500 photos most of which are pretty terrible especially from the first day

as this was my very first time officially taking live music and arts photos it was a steep learning curve and the photos from day 3 are MUCH better than from day 1

i also realised that my Fuji Finepix S5600, no matter how much "gear doesnt matter" doesn't cut it in low light, i had to use flash for almsot every shot and i was shooting at ISO 400 most of the weekend which is pretty noisy when enlarged on this camera.

so here are a few of my faves, some are fashion shots from the weekend and some are live shots!

http://flickr.com/photos/25808153@N07/sets/72157604716165161/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29236724@N07/sets/72157606545371265/

The bands are as follow, The Youth Gang (young boy and girl), Jack and Paddy (two guys with guitars), The answering machine (two young lads on an electric and an acoustic guitar with mics), Brandon Steep (5 piece progressive rock/indie style [end of first link start of 2nd]) and the final lot are British Sea power (containing a cornet/synth player, violinist, guitarist, bassist and a drummer [2nd link])

Thanks much for looking!

Rogan

I have shot 1,000s of images at Bluegrass Music Festivals (in Kentucky, USA), and I've found that performers would rather us not use a flash. I'm surprised you were able to do it with no problems. The shots are nice. I love shooting the bands and fans at outdoor festivals. You see so many types of people and they tend to all be very friendly.

I have also found my skills getting better through the years. At first I shot the hell out of everything since I love the bands and the music I found myself shooting way to much. But after years of shooting and being backstage with the biggest acts in Bluegrass Music I have learned that it's better to find "the shot" instead of shooting like crazy and hoping I got "the shot".

My site is VERY out of date, but you may find some of my music festivals there.

http://www.bluegrassphotography.net

Nice stuff! Enjoy what you shoot!

i was absolutely buzzing all weekend shooting some of my favourite bands

and yeah i was surpirsed i wasnt getting pushed away for using flash i was getting some funny looks from a couple of other photographers but most looked at me and realised that i was only 16 and didnt give it a second thought

im getting money in september for "hopefully" good exam results so if i have enough im going to buy myself a dSLR and faster lens (either an original 1D or a 20D with grip, probs a sigma 2.8 lens or a canon slower lens)

Most reactions

Back