Kit lens or non-kit lens?

tekmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for advice. I recently purchased a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55 VR kit lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens). I'm giving my brother my old D50 but it doesn't have a lens so he wants to take my kit lens and buy me a replacement. The reason for this is that he found the lens online cheaper than buying it at the store.

So my first question is this: is there a different between a kit lens and a non-kit lens?

I found what seems to be same lens on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot by allowing my brother to take the kit lens and buy me a replacement.

My second question is, could someone more experience take a look at the specs for the replacement I found and compare to the kit lens to make sure it really is the same thing?

The replacement that I found is here: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-55mm...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323815657&sr=1-3 and the original kit that I purchased is here: Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo.

If anyone can offer some insight into whether there's a difference between a kit lens or not and if the replacement I found is an exact match (as it seems to me to be), I would really appreciate it!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If your brother is buying this lens, why doesn't he just use that one himself? I don't understand why he would want your kit lens.

As for the lens you found and why it's less expensive; it appears to be a grey market lens. Note how it says (Worldwide) in the title. This means it will have no warranty and you'll be lucky to find anyone willing to service it at all should you ever need service on it.

It seems the lens you found is the kit lens as well.

If your brother is buying this lens, why doesn't he just use that one himself? I don't understand why he would want your kit lens.

As for the lens you found and why it's less expensive; it appears to be a grey market lens. Note how it says (Worldwide) in the title. This means it will have no warranty and you'll be lucky to find anyone willing to service it at all should you ever need service on it.

The reason he wants the kit lens is that he is leaving for Germany on monday and he wants to use the D50 while he's there. Presumably there would not be enough time for the lens to get here in the mail, thus why he suggested this.

Thank you for your response, that helps me in making a decision!

Most reactions

Back