Kit lens or other choice?

moffatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have read alot about kit lenses not being the best choice. Can some share their choice of lenses that you would recommend for someone to get that won't break the bank. I will be shooting portrait, sports, nature and anything else that catches my eye.

I guess I am looking for best bang for the buck without spending more than $800.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

What system/brand are you looking at? Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax etc

I am looking at either canon or nikon. I guess I should have stated that..sorry.

I am looking for best all around lenses that are best for all types of shooting that offer the best function and picture quality without breaking the bank.

Thanks

Most of the lens that come with camera kits are not bad lens and for most people they will perfectly fine. Sometimes it's better to go with the kit lens for a while till you figure out what your main interest with photography will be and then do some research on other lens options. I had my Nikon 18-55 for several months and had no problems with it, then I figured out that I really like Macro work and got a 105VR. Once you get the basics figured out, then start doing your research on what makes a good lens, each manufacturer has various levels of quality. Sigma better quality glass is designated "EX", Nikon is "ED". Point is, figure out what you want to do a lens, then buy the best one you can afford.

This is coming from a newb perspective, but I like the lens that came with my 40D. It's a 35-128mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. It's fairly quite, has image stabilizer, decent range of zoom. It's not as fast or has a real wide angle zoom though.

It was cheap with the camera!

I am looking for best all around lenses that are best for all types of shooting that offer the best function and picture quality without breaking the bank.

Doesn't exist. Although if it did, I imagine it would be quite heavy and weigh a pretty penny.

A kit lens is not neccesarily a "bad" lens, despite what folks will tell you. You can get incredible shots with a kit lens, however more expensive lenses will do it far easier and without as many limitations.

What you perhaps want is either an general walk around lens (Sigma 24-60MM F/2.8 - had for around 200 bucks new), and a dedicated telephoto lens (55-200 VR - sub-200 bucks), or an 18-200 VR lens (600 bucks) on the Nikon and the equivalent on a Canon.

I have an old full frame kit lens and the new ef-s kit lens, i also purchased a 50mm f1.8 and a 75-300 f4-5.6 and a used flash, I think that totals under 800 bucks, add my elan 7 35mm and my canon rebel xt and im just over that. I didnt know exactly what i wanted to shoot so I just got the basics to shoot almost anything and gave it a try, now I know where the real money would be best spent for me and am glad I bought the less expensive lenses and used them well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back