Kit lens... Why???

When you say you can get a new 50mm prime for $100, are you talking about third party? I'm thinking of getting a Canon XSI, and the going rate for a 50mm prime lens made by Canon is $325.

There is a 50mm that's around $325, but its the 50mm f/1.4 lens. You can usually find the 50mm f/1.8 for much less (someone posted a link where its LESS than one hundred dollars!) and is much better of a deal for the financially-conscious (like me).

And at least the Nikon f/1.4 version has very creamy bokeh (out of focus area rendering). The bokeh on the f/1.8 version is on the ugly side, which can ruin portraits. I'm not sure if the Canon or other makes are the same. I traded up to the f/1.4 version both for the speed and for the nicer bokeh, but now I need to get a lens hood for it because the ultra-fast glass tends to be more flare prone. For beginners, I'd recommend just getting the starter f/1.8.

The canon 1.8 is sharp and has OK looking bokeh; nicer looking bokeh, sharper and much faster than the kit lenses. A very good buy, downside is its very plastic and light feeling.

Now the 1.4 is SHARP! has a smother bokeh(more aperture blades)and has USM focusing, which is fast, and the build quality is fairly robust.

Number of aperture blades just controls the shape of the out of focus light points. The actual bokeh rendering (harsh and ugly, or smooth and creamy, etc) has to do with the actual optical design and the amount of spherical aberration built into the lens.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back