Knock, Knock

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Captured my first Red-Bellied Woodpeckers down by the marsh.

marsh9-23-19 1648 (2)ps3.jpg

marsh9-23-19 1535 (2)ps.jpg

marsh9-23-19 1558 (2)ps.jpg

I like them all, particularly the last one.

One question, though: shouldn't they be called 'red-headed,' rather than 'red-bellied'?

Is that Clucky's southern cousin??!! Was he making the sound that got Clucky his name?

Since almost all male woodpeckers have red on their heads, calling one "red-headed" will lead to lots and lots of confusion.

We have one that is a regular visitor at the feeder and while he does have more red on the belly, it is far from prominent.

Cool, matching bookends! Congrats on adding a new one to your collection. Who would have thought an interest in photography would turn us into a bunch of amatuer bird watchers. LOL! :laugh2:

I like them all, particularly the last one.

One question, though: shouldn't they be called 'red-headed,' rather than 'red-bellied'?
Thanks, I appreciate the kind comment. As RVT1K mentioned, there is more than one species of woodpecker with a red head. It's the red on the belly of a Red-Bellied woodpecker is what makes them different, E.G. like their whole head isn't red.

Last edited:
Cool, matching bookends! Congrats on adding a new one to your collection. Who would have thought an interest in photography would turn us into a bunch of amatuer bird watchers. LOL! :laugh2:

Well, I don't go out to "bird watch" specifically but I guess you can't help but learn a little as you go along in this hobby. If the little that I've learned qualifies me as a bird watcher then that's what I am I suppose. Matching book ends, lol!

Last edited:
Is that Clucky's southern cousin??!! Was he making the sound that got Clucky his name?

Since almost all male woodpeckers have red on their heads, calling one "red-headed" will lead to lots and lots of confusion.

We have one that is a regular visitor at the feeder and while he does have more red on the belly, it is far from prominent.

Thanks, guys. All I know is I only titled it that because of the knocking sound I've heard woodpeckers make when pecking at a tree.

Good set Kirk. For some reason I've always had trouble getting good images of these guys. I like #3 also - that bokeh gives the image a portrait appearance.

Good set Kirk. For some reason I've always had trouble getting good images of these guys. I like #3 also - that bokeh gives the image a portrait appearance.

Maybe put up a suet basket in your yard.
We have a regular birdfeeder and the woodpeckers will visit that but they really love the suet basket. We have lots of traffic and the red-bellied is a daily visitor.

Most reactions

Back