Kodachrome KR-14 question

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, big dilemma...

Some time ago I bought two rolls of KC in 120 size (mf) and shot them in a slot canyon in AZ. I tried to have them developed but couldn't find anyone to do it. I've been told that some labs do the KR-14 process only for 35mm film. I contacted Kodak and they said the developing of this film is not done anymore due to the complexity of the processing.

:evil:

Waaaaaa.... :cry:

And I had some great shots in there, I know because I shot some regular 35mm slide film as well as 120 color film.

Does anyone know of any place still doing this process? Or does anyone know the process and what it involves? Thanks for looking and maybe for helping.

When I worked at the photo lab about five years ago there were only two or three labs left in the country that processed it.

I don't believe you can get Kodachrome in 120 format processed anywhere in the world right now. There are a few labs doing 135, but the last time you could have had your 120 done was about 2 1/2 years ago. So, it looks like you're out of luck, unfortunately.

Jeff Canes said:
Have you tryed Rocky Mountain Film the web site do not list 120 KR-14 as a process they support but it can not hurt to ask, and maybe they can give you a lead where to go

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/oldfilm.htm

Thanks Jeff, I tried them with no luck. They said they would do it, I mailed it to them, but then changed their minds and told me that they won't do it any longer. They offered to send it to London where Kodak was doing one last batch processing. Unfortunately they sent it too late! So I got it back a year later together with their lame apology. Oh well...

Meanwhile, does anyone know what the KR-14 involves? What kind of chemicals, times, temperatures, etc.? I might just attempt to do it on my own, what do I have to lose?...

I guess you will just have to go and re-shot, lucky for you it is only a weekend away, I miss the slot canyons the last time I was in Arizona

Jeff Canes said:
I guess you will just have to go and re-shot, lucky for you it is only a weekend away, I miss the slot canyons the last time I was in Arizona

Well, I'll have to do that after all... Bummer! But you're right, canyons are basically a day's drive away. The shots I have taken were of a newly discovered slot canyon, on Navajo land (needed the special permit and guide) and I was the only person in it during that day. An awesome experience! I'll try to post some other shots soon.

Thanks for comforting...

Jeff Canes said:
I have head about these Indiana photo permits. What the deal with them?

Basically you enter the Navajo Nation Land to take pictures and potentially make money from selling these pictures. The Navajo Nation wants a little piece of the pie as well, I don't see anything wrong with that. Anyone can buy a permit for anywhere from $10 to $25, depending on the site. It's worth every penny, believe me.

Whoa, wait a second..... does that mean that taking pictures on the Navajo Nation Reservation would be illegal???

uh-oh

tr0gd0o0r said:
Whoa, wait a second..... does that mean that taking pictures on the Navajo Nation Reservation would be illegal???

uh-oh

Only in certain sites, such as the Antelope (slot) Canyons, some restricted places near Monument Valley and such. Otherwise one can take picture after picture without any problems on any Indian reservation. In other words, if there is an attraction of kind they charge a fee for a daily permit.

tr0gd0o0r said:
so as long as i don't hop any fences I should be alright

Yep. That'll work.

Mitica100 said:
Basically you enter the Navajo Nation Land to take pictures and potentially make money from selling these pictures. The Navajo Nation wants a little piece of the pie as well, I don't see anything wrong with that. Anyone can buy a permit for anywhere from $10 to $25, depending on the site. It's worth every penny, believe me.

I've never been out there, but buddies who have say they charge different rates for point-n-shoots, 35mm SLRS, MF, and LF. I wonder if they charge per the mega-pixel now?

ksmattfish said:
I've never been out there, but buddies who have say they charge different rates for point-n-shoots, 35mm SLRS, MF, and LF. I wonder if they charge per the mega-pixel now?

Actually they charge per site, I went to the Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ with both 35mm and MF, heavy tripod and all, yet they charged me the same fee as they charged everyone else. It was $25.00 per one or two hours (I can't remember precisely) and if you stay longer than that it was something like $5.00 more per extra hour. They had trucks that took you to the canyon every 30 minutes or so.

With the other (newer) canyon I paid the guide a full day fee and that included the permit, I think it was something like $130. The nice thing about the latter was that we were the only creatures in the canyon. No tourists trying to take flash pictures in the middle of long exposures!! Well worth the money!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back