La Jolla Cove at sunset...

Honu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

These shots were taken at La Jolla cove in La Jolla near San Diego, CA. The sun was setting but was mostly obscured by clouds.

All images are 3-shot HDR/Tone-mapped in Photomatix, taken with Rebel XSI w/Sigma 10-20mm on a tripod. I darkened the sky a bit in PS Elements, along with general levels, contrast, saturation and sharpness adjustments. I also ran them through Noiseware to help with the HDR noise.

People like to scratch their names in the rocks, so I spent a lot of time cloning out graffiti like "Mary loves Jon" and "Chris 2005".

Feel free to let me know what you think, thanks as always for looking!

LaJollaCove2.jpg

LaJollaCove4.jpg

LaJollaCove5.jpg

LaJollaCove6.jpg

LaJollaCove.jpg

In my opinion they all need a little work with the contrast. They're all very flat in tone.

I would have underexposed it by quite a bit, and slow down the shutter speed. It would have brought out the colors, and you may have gotten a nice movement effect with those waves coming over the rocks if you timed it right.

Still good shots though.

Maybe something a little more like this?

LaJollaCove5jpg.jpg

beautiful, I loved La Jolla!

I like them without so much contrast (it depends also on your screen)

the rocks are wonderful and the water is very transparent, nicely done

I like your images too. Very good composition and atmosphere. :thumbup: I would only work on the contrast and colors a bit to breathe more life to the images, otherwise they are great shots. I tried a quick edit on one:

rocksba.jpg

Also, you may want to try positioning the horizon somewhere other than the middle of the picture. Decide whether you want to show more sky, or more foreground, then compose the shot accordingly. It's slightly higher than the direct middle, but perhaps a tad higher next time.

Last edited:
Also, you may want to try positioning the horizon somewhere other than the middle of the picture. Decide whether you want to show more sky, or more foreground, then compose the shot accordingly. It's slightly higher than the direct middle, but perhaps a tad higher next time.

Hi,

It seems to me that most of the horizons are far from center - only one seems to me to be close to the center.

LaJollaCove5jpg.jpg

Maybe it's my monitor, but your edit seems to be extremely noisy and the rocks have a very over-saturated intense orange tone. Thanks for the input.

I like your images too. Very good composition and atmosphere. :thumbup: I would only work on the contrast and colors a bit to breathe more life to the images, otherwise they are great shots. I tried a quick edit on one:

rocksba.jpg

Thanks for the kind words - I'm going to play around a little with it. No offense but your edit seems to be a bit too much (at least on my montitor.)
I'm trying to capture how the scene really looked - the sky was completely grey and the rocks were more of a tan/grey tone.

Thanks again!

Maybe it's my monitor, but your edit seems to be extremely noisy and the rocks have a very over-saturated intense orange tone. Thanks for the input.

Yep, it was. I did it in under 1 minute before I ran out the door for work. I would need to spend more time on it and pinpoint specific locations in the picture to add contrast and saturate/desaturate, similar to Mersad did. I was just doing a quick edit to improve yours, but no it would not be a good final product.

OK, I put a little work into a few of them (before and after shown.)

LaJollaCove6.jpg

LaJollaCove6-Copy.jpg

LaJollaCove5.jpg

LaJollaCove5-Copy.jpg

Looks good :thumbup:

Which program are you using?

Most reactions

Back