La Jolla - HDR Attempt

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

After getting delayed for three days in San Diego, I got back home last night and HAD to make this attempt at HDR. I took this photo at 6:40 PM on Monday (my last day in the warmth :( )

This photo is a combination of 9 photos, each one exposure apart. They were processed using Photoshop's Merge to HDR feature and then manually adjusted for exposure and contrast.

This is my first attempt at HDR and I'd LOVE to get some advice/critiques on what I could do better next time!

8554462515_17f88f8994_b.jpg

Thanks!

I am normally a fan of going over-board a little on HDR BUT this image hurts my eyes to look at it.

It is way too bright and over done. I'm not kidding, I just tried to scroll back up to give you more c&c and now I have a headache.

Someone that can stand to look at this image, please try and give some better c&c then I tried to do.

OP- Feel free to post the originals in this thread if you want some others to make their own edit.

Its WAY to over done.

In addition to the over processing, the horizon is not even, and you have placed the subject smack dab in the middle and that is usually not vary appealing compositionally.

I would agree that it is a bit overdone, but my real question is why you had to use 9 images. It would be interesting to see how this would look based on 7 or 5 images. Maybe it wouldn't looked so overdone. If you try it with 5 or 7 images, post here so we can compare.

WesternGuy

i think 5 images will give you a better result, this is far too overdone. Maybe try again and use 5 of your images from -2 to +2ev

How did you determine that 9 exposures were needed?

How did you determine the EV steps needed and the the EV step distribution relative to the mid-point of the scene's dynamic range?

It looks to me that the EV step distribution should have been offset quite a bit to the darker side of the scene's dynamic range mid-point.

Photoshop's Merge to HDR feature still has a way to go before it will compare favorably with Photomatix.

In the interest of honesty, I really had no idea what I was doing. I decided to do nine exposures, each one stop apart, to cover all my bases.

Here is one with 5 photos and quite a bit less processing. I realize the composition leaves a little to be desired, but just outside of the frame is a large hideous rock. In order to get these two rocks in the frame, the horizon had to be pretty center. I was able to get it a LITTLE off center, but not as much as I'd have liked.

Here is the updated one:
8560620413_d29d16a9db_b.jpg

Yikes, that first one is really cooked, isn't it?

I very much prefer the re-do, though the sun still seems a tad too bright to me.

I don't have any HDR suggestions, seeing as i haven't done any myself. I am interested in hearing others' suggestions and critiques though.

Have you tried cropping off the top instead to improve the composition?

Most reactions

Back