What's new

La Luna Súper!!! (Super Moon)

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
1,968
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It is upon us (!!!).....until like 6 am this morning. Also; everything sounds so much edgier in Spanish.

 
Last edited:
Superb shot! Wish it wasn't so cloudy by me.
 
I was so nervous at about 8pm because it was entirely overcast. I was like NOOOOOOOOO. It cleared up for the most part though.
 
Great shot. Can I ask what settings you used please?
 
Great shot. Can I ask what settings you used please?

They are on his Flickr site.. click on the image...

Exif data
___________________
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Shutter: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/25.0
Focal Length: 800 mm
ISO: 500
EV: 0 EV
FLash: Off, Did not fire
 
Rex..... F25?????? Why? lol! Nice shot though! I am surprised that diffraction didn't kill it...
 
Rex..... F25?????? Why? lol! Nice shot though! I am surprised that diffraction didn't kill it...

I just posted above in the beginner section about this. I read an article on shooting a bright moon. With a focal length of 800mm, the sunny16 rule applies for a bright moon. I do not have a lens to do this, however, I think my shot of the moon turned out decent and not a white glob with just my 55mm. I shot RAW and did not have to use a low fstop because I can't get the focal length with the lens I have. I posted above where everyone is posting their moon shots. Fantastic shot Rexbob!
 
Sunny 16 is not really true on the moon, due to its albedo (reflectance). And the question was why so small aperture, since over f/11 or so resolution is limited by diffraction. However, the shot is good anyway (maybe some limitation could be seen at 100% -I'm too shooting with 60D and 800mm and I know the result is a very, very large moon :) ).
 
Rex..... F25?????? Why? lol! Nice shot though! I am surprised that diffraction didn't kill it...

I was using a x2 teleconverter so technically it was closer to f/13 I believe. I think I did my calculations wrong though when I did take the photo though. I forgot that my lens goes from f4.5 to f5.6 so I overshot the f-stop. I'll try again tonight probably with lower settings.

Honestly though, I don't think it made that much of a difference. I'm using a version 1 Canon teleconverter, so I can only get so much resolution out of my lens at any aperture. So I don't think that diffraction hurt me quite as much as the teleconverter itself.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom