Lack of faith in NIKON products!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only other common issue I can think of is comparison of 100% crops which results in a softer view when the newer larger MP sensors are compared to smaller MP sensors and both views are set to 100% (the bigger MP value camera appearing softer because the image is that much bigger because of the increase in MP). That said that problem only relates to "softer lenses" type issues as opposed to a shifted focal plane.

Sadly if you've already sent lenses and camera body to the people at Nikon then you've only two options:

1) Consider a different service centre

2) Consider that the problem is user related.

Other than that we really can't offer any advice what so ever beyond that. The only thing you might get is a few others agreeing that there is a manufacture tolerance error with their Nikon gear - but heck I've heard complaints about that from all Camera brands - and once its properly addressed for correction it normally goes away as a problem.

OK, folks. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Nothing else to discuss.

Nothing else to suggest.

Again, I'll state that I do not want (never wanted to) to discuss BF issues. I think the issue had been discussed in other earlier post.

I suspect strongly that you are NOT going to find that Canon has substantially better customer support than Nikon, or vice versa, for the simple reason that competitive forces are driving them to provide very similar levels of support, build-quality-for-the-dollar, and so on. You probably WILL find niches where one is better than the other (e.g. "Canon's lower end lenses are better in the rain than Nikons" or whatever) where one company has decided to devote a little more money and effort to differentiate.

Overall they're going to be very very similar, however.

I think that is true. I think that my initial experience may be localised to a singular instant rather than something that I should generalise to possible future experiences. No company is exempt from these types of issues. I guess like many people I have based my phobias on a single ongoing experience.

The only other common issue I can think of is comparison of 100% crops which results in a softer view when the newer larger MP sensors are compared to smaller MP sensors and both views are set to 100% (the bigger MP value camera appearing softer because the image is that much bigger because of the increase in MP). That said that problem only relates to "softer lenses" type issues as opposed to a shifted focal plane.

Sadly if you've already sent lenses and camera body to the people at Nikon then you've only two options:

Other than that we really can't offer any advice what so ever beyond that. The only thing you might get is a few others agreeing that there is a manufacture tolerance error with their Nikon gear - but heck I've heard complaints about that from all Camera brands - and once its properly addressed for correction it normally goes away as a problem.

1) To be honest I did not know I had the option to send to a different service centre. I should look more into this and thank you for the recommendation.

2) User error.... I did write a sarcastic reply constructed via frustration. I realised you are actually trying to help so I deleted it and placed it with the following.

My first thought was that my problem was due to user error. That was until I exhausted this from being the problem.

Overread said:

I have a feeling that this is what's happening. There are several lenses that, when used on he 36 MP D800 seem very soft and ugly, however when you resize the images to a more conventional size of 12 MP they will appear to be much sharper...

Overread said:

I have a feeling that this is what's happening. There are several lenses that, when used on he 36 MP D800 seem very soft and ugly, however when you resize the images to a more conventional size of 12 MP they will appear to be much sharper...

The thing is whilst this could be a possibility, the problem is that it would show as overall softness over the whole frame as opposed to a shifted point of focus. It could still be part of the problem of course and might be a major contributing factor - its also something that I know catches a lot of people out, even experienced photographers.

Did you try fine focus adjustment? Most all of my AF-S lenses need adjusted but my older AF lenses do not. (go figure). My 18-105 needs a -20 adjustment to be sharp at close distance.

I was about to say...you do realize d7000 has a fine adjustment control?

Did you try fine focus adjustment? Most all of my AF-S lenses need adjusted but my older AF lenses do not. (go figure). My 18-105 needs a -20 adjustment to be sharp at close distance.

I was about to say...you do realize d7000 has a fine adjustment control?

Yes I am aware of the fine tune adjustment.

Almost wish i didnt become a member|

How come? I hope this conversation hasn't discouraged you? One thing I have taken away from this experience is that this would be a good place to come to if you genuinely needed help. There are some who will give you very good coverage and then there are others who would over reach their own abilities. The one thing they all got in common though is the desire to be successful in helping (or resolving) the issue.

No help from me on this, but it has been an intereting read to see all the different directions this has gone. Good thing it's a slow day here at work and this helped me to stay awake.... sort of.

It always sucks when you don't get the quality of product you want or the satisfaction from the customer service of any company when you have problems. That's why I don't like Ford trucks. :wink:

You'd have a lot less likes that you'd do now ;)

OK, I read the entire thread and I'm still not certain what the question really is.
The OP saying that he was vague didn't clear it up.

It's not clear that the OP actually tested his lenses in various situations to locate when, where the OOF stuff occurred.
How specific was the complaint to the service center?

I've had my Nikon bodies in for service to the NY with fine results; some people with difficult problems have had other results.

Some circumstances require a lot of input from the user to guide/help the technicians.
If the OP did all that and didn't get resolution, then I'd escalate the complaints.
If the OP didn't do the testing to find the circumstances that gave bad results then that would be my next step.
Abandoning the brand because of an unresolved issue is like giving up a Ferrari because it needed constant service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back