Lady in Sunset

hollanfeng

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying some new styles. C&C are welcomed. Thanks.

4734715016_0fe0981152_o.jpg

4734715480_08cbc42fa0_o.jpg

4734777404_1d51e0172d_o.jpg

Contre-jour, for sure! These three go together well. In the first shot, I wish the camera had been swung a bit more to the left. Her slightly OOF hand is distracting me a bit--I might be tempted to use the magic lasso and sharpen up the hand and forearm, then fade the sharpening a bit with the slider...I think that would work better. The lacy sleeve is making the DOF transition more apparent than a 'normal' garment would.

I like the second shot, but wish the upper left corner were a little bit brighter; at least dodge the edge of it, nearest the center of the frame; the large,dark triangular shape's overall size is pretty powerful. I like the contre-jour, and again, the lace trim on her clothes really comes into play, and it makes the backlighting stand out well!

The last shot is framed as a horizontal, and properly so, because she has her arms spread out wide!!! The third shot is a perfect example of when to actually orient the camera in the horizontal orientation on a half-body shot!!

Please note: my C&C on these does not really take into account the overlayed captions. With the captions considered, I can understand the excessively large area of green camera right, in shot 1. In shot #2, Sunset River, I think if I were skilled in Photoshop, that I'd be tempted to artificially dodge (lighten up) the highlights on the surface of the river in the area above her left shoulder, just for a bit more attention on the beautiful highlights on the water's surface.

I consider this type of portraiture to be "bokeh work", and it has a lot of appeal to people I think. It's really based on a lot of small details, and the background is one of the areas where you can kind of work on the shots, by selective lightening or darkening, or by cropping out areas. There really is not all that much that is in-focus in this kind of portraiture, so the changes that can be made are usually more concerned with massaging or nuancing the background.

Noted. Thanks a lot for your comment, Derrel !

Contre-jour, for sure! These three go together well. In the first shot, I wish the camera had been swung a bit more to the left. Her slightly OOF hand is distracting me a bit--I might be tempted to use the magic lasso and sharpen up the hand and forearm, then fade the sharpening a bit with the slider...I think that would work better. The lacy sleeve is making the DOF transition more apparent than a 'normal' garment would.

I like the second shot, but wish the upper left corner were a little bit brighter; at least dodge the edge of it, nearest the center of the frame; the large,dark triangular shape's overall size is pretty powerful. I like the contre-jour, and again, the lace trim on her clothes really comes into play, and it makes the backlighting stand out well!

The last shot is framed as a horizontal, and properly so, because she has her arms spread out wide!!! The third shot is a perfect example of when to actually orient the camera in the horizontal orientation on a half-body shot!!

Please note: my C&C on these does not really take into account the overlayed captions. With the captions considered, I can understand the excessively large area of green camera right, in shot 1. In shot #2, Sunset River, I think if I were skilled in Photoshop, that I'd be tempted to artificially dodge (lighten up) the highlights on the surface of the river in the area above her left shoulder, just for a bit more attention on the beautiful highlights on the water's surface.

I consider this type of portraiture to be "bokeh work", and it has a lot of appeal to people I think. It's really based on a lot of small details, and the background is one of the areas where you can kind of work on the shots, by selective lightening or darkening, or by cropping out areas. There really is not all that much that is in-focus in this kind of portraiture, so the changes that can be made are usually more concerned with massaging or nuancing the background.

I love that first shot so much that I'm willing to forgive anything I deem a flaw. (actually, I wouldn't change a thing except the comp.)

They're all great, btw. I'm not sure if the style is unique (maybe the color), but it is certainly well done. It's just the way you caught the girl looking at the camera, and the look on her face that caught my eye.

The photos are great, I just have an after taste of action on my palate though. While no doubt the coloring effects are gorgeous, they feel too stock to me. Even if you did this all on your own, I feel like you just downloaded some Nik software and applied some actions.

This is an area that always bothers me to talk about though, because where do you draw the line? I see these effects a dime a dozen throughout many people's portfolios lately, including a few wedding photographers I know. While I can see why people enjoy it, to me it is nothing but a short-cut. A fad at best. Bad? Not if that is what you want. Good? It is a quick fix that you don't need to put much into, but can. Hence the why I am unsure about this.

To bring this all back in, on topic I have this to say:
In most cases I would say this is not a needed manipulation, however in this case I think you thoroughly demonstrated that you used this stylistic choice to carefully bring out the sunlight without overpowering the image, while avoiding that overpowering brightness the viewer may feel while looking into the sun on a photograph. Also the touch of warmth makes anyone feel at home in the country side in a more peaceful time.

I may be putting words into your mouth that you didn't even know you had. I think I am pretty close though, and if not maybe it just gives you another way to look at your own photos. Either way, I hope you just consider what I had to say :)

Nice shots!

try harder with better exposure

What are you talking about? They are properly exposed, it was just shot into the sun so that is the effect. I like the effect at times. I like 2 and 3 better than 1. I just don't think the effect works as well for me in headshots like number 1. Great shots. And thanks for sharing.

I am indeed in love with your second shot.
aaaa....seems like I can meditate on it)

the first one is really mysterious and I do like it, but I think the shot is nor very much balanced, because the bottom is kinda loaded (with diverse lace ornaments) and the top is so light and weightless, you know. But overall this is a great picture. I especially love the colors.
The third one is also good!

GREAT SHOTS..... Were these taken with a 35L??

Most reactions

Back