Lake Ontario in Snow Storm CC

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
lakeontario004.jpg

Last edited:
They both seem very over exposed. The details are completely gone in them. What settings were you using?
TJ

They both seem very over exposed. The details are completely gone in them. What settings were you using?
TJ

File Name: lakeontario011.jpg (rename) .jpgok cancel

File Size: 125 kb - 799 x 531
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5000
Date/Time: 2009:01:11 21:32:01
Resolution: 799 x 531
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm...
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO Equiv.: 1000
Exposure Bias: 1.33
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: program (auto) thanks for all the help.. i set and reset the settings.. probably mixed up now... HELP!! also it was snowing heavy ... and wind was whipping... but i want decent pics ..so appreciate help..

Next time check your ISO setting, don't use auto because your camera is picking the wrong settings
thanks so much... will do...would 3,200 have been okay to use?

Last edited:
No, that would of been worse than ISO 1000.

You should always aim for the lowest possible ISO setting to ensure there is no image noise. If you are getting a shutter speed that is too slow, then you need to up the ISO until its a usable shutter speed.

Depending on how high the winds are, you could of shot this at a shutter 1/125 and had the same results, thus allowing to bring down the ISO.

The last shot you were 1/500, F11, iso1000, 55mm, if you had been at
1/125,F11, iso400 about 3 stops lower i think it would have been closer,
after you take a shot check your histogram if it's to the right it is over exposed

No, that would of been worse than ISO 1000.

You should always aim for the lowest possible ISO setting to ensure there is no image noise. If you are getting a shutter speed that is too slow, then you need to up the ISO until its a usable shutter speed.

Depending on how high the winds are, you could of shot this at a shutter 1/125 and had the same results, thus allowing to bring down the ISO.
thanks very much... i will try this tommorrow.. probably different weather conditions.. hopefully not as rough.. yes the winds were whipping.. making it totally bad to read the camera too..

The last shot you were 1/500, F11, iso1000, 55mm, if you had been at
1/125,F11, iso400 about 3 stops lower i think it would have been closer,
after you take a shot check your histogram if it's to the right it is over exposed
thanks thanks. now this gives me a foundation to work with..

thanks very much... i will try this tommorrow.. probably different weather conditions.. hopefully not as rough.. yes the winds were whipping.. making it totally bad to read the camera too..

Next time, try not to crop off any tree tops. ;)

Good luck and dress warm!
cold.gif

cold.gif
you guys are terrific... i have learned so much in such a short time... just because you open my eyes.... i am sorry that i will be here often with bad pics... but believe me it is appreciated.. i am so into this... bare with me.. and you should have seen the way i was dressed today.. i could hardly move.. but i knew that these pics lack the view i saw with my eyes of the lake and all the surrounding nature.. so glad i posted them.

cold.gif
you guys are terrific... i have learned so much in such a short time... just because you open my eyes.... i am sorry that i will be here often with bad pics... but believe me it is appreciated.. i am so into this... bare with me.. and you should have seen the way i was dressed today.. i could hardly move.. but i knew that these pics lack the view i saw with my eyes of the lake and all the surrounding nature.. so glad i posted them.

Just remember your lens and camera cannot read the highlight and shadow like your eyes can

cold.gif

As much as I get seriously annoyed with drive by newbie posters, I'm more than happy to help someone who shows and interest in learning. Just be selective with the photos you post and want to improve on, dont just post any old thing because you had them sitting on your memory card.

As someone said, try and not to cut off trees, but also look for straggling branches that are at the edges of the frame from trees that aren't in the picture. Look at your first image, you have bits on the left hand side showing.

Look at the scene, think of composition, think of settings, look in the view finder, set the settings but before pushing the button, look all around the in the viewer finder, both foreground, mid ground and back ground to find any elements that are distracting and not adding to the picture and try and recompose if you can.

Then take the picture, review in view finder, and adjust.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back