Lamppost

katsrevenge

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSCN0341 by Kat Master, on Flickr

I'm slightly obsessed. Lamppost topper after a rain.

timor

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like it. This is very informative picture, if I can say so. Everything is very sharp and contrasty. How about much smaller dof ? Enough only for the main subject of the shot ? To many elements to: post, building and tree. Maybe here is too much of the tree ? Tree and the building out of focus will still tell, that it is street, but the picture would be much more 3D, there would be depth. Then comes exposure, I think the lamp is a bit to dark, basically only contours. Half a stop more of exposure would bring better detail from the very dark areas.

OP
katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hmm.. you may be on to something. I like the idea of out of focus background. Wouldn't cropping mess up the composition? I can see what you mean.. but not sure about it.

One of the things that I liked about this one was the very dark and blacked out lamppost with the background and middle grounds getting lighter. I thought that worked well. Made a mundane thing interesting.

LilyBee

Reaction score
I like the subject and the contrast but agree with second poster, there is too much in the pic to distract from that gorgeous post.

desertrattm2r12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right church, wrong pew. What I mean is I like it but it needs something. Not much. I think if the background was more out of focus, but not too much. You should be able to understand what is back there but have it fall away more, focus-wise.

OP
katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Very useful guys! I know I'll be taking more lamp photos... as I said, I'm slightly obsessed. I will try these things next time around.

timor

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Very useful guys! I know I'll be taking more lamp photos... as I said, I'm slightly obsessed. I will try these things next time around.
Ralph Gibson has good definition of how photography works: it takes unimportant object and surpasses it's presents.

OP
katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I too am curious about this Ralph guy. I've bought a few books after reading recs on this site.. but they are by a John Hedgecoe.

zoomer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Wow! Thanks.
I read the first few responses and I'm loving it already

Most reactions

New Topics