Lamppost

I would like it. This is very informative picture, if I can say so. Everything is very sharp and contrasty. How about much smaller dof ? Enough only for the main subject of the shot ? To many elements to: post, building and tree. Maybe here is too much of the tree ? Tree and the building out of focus will still tell, that it is street, but the picture would be much more 3D, there would be depth. Then comes exposure, I think the lamp is a bit to dark, basically only contours. Half a stop more of exposure would bring better detail from the very dark areas.

Hmm.. you may be on to something. I like the idea of out of focus background. Wouldn't cropping mess up the composition? I can see what you mean.. but not sure about it.

One of the things that I liked about this one was the very dark and blacked out lamppost with the background and middle grounds getting lighter. I thought that worked well. Made a mundane thing interesting.

I like the subject and the contrast but agree with second poster, there is too much in the pic to distract from that gorgeous post.

Right church, wrong pew. What I mean is I like it but it needs something. Not much. I think if the background was more out of focus, but not too much. You should be able to understand what is back there but have it fall away more, focus-wise.

Very useful guys! I know I'll be taking more lamp photos... as I said, I'm slightly obsessed. I will try these things next time around.

Very useful guys! I know I'll be taking more lamp photos... as I said, I'm slightly obsessed. I will try these things next time around.
Ralph Gibson has good definition of how photography works: it takes unimportant object and surpasses it's presents.

I too am curious about this Ralph guy. I've bought a few books after reading recs on this site.. but they are by a John Hedgecoe.

Wow! Thanks.
I read the first few responses and I'm loving it already

Most reactions

Back