Land scape c&c on composure

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to the highest point in Alabama today to test out a new camera with some landscapes and wanted to get some advice about composition. I like these photos, BUT I feel like there's something a little off.

With the first photo, I feel like the house is too small and a better angle could have been used. As for the second, I feel like if I used a smaller aperture I could have achieved maximum focus and the top part of the waterfall wouldn't be out of focus. I also feel like the sky should have a bigger part in the photo.

Any sort of feedback and criticism is welcome so I can get a better understanding on ways to create a more appealing photograph.

If it helps, these were both shot with a Nikon D800e using a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens with a CPL filter, sturdy tripod and manual focus. I used live view to focus in a little tighter on the house and on the bed of the waterfall.

In the first shot I used a little selective coloring, used multiply and soft light in the blending options. In the second shot I just used a little selective coloring.

Thanks a lot!

1: ISO 100 - 70mm - f/11 - 1/80sec
2: ISO 2000 - 28mm - f/8 - 1/200sec

$fahY1RK.jpg
$1RE9ZmL.jpg

Your first image, the composition is very center frame. meaning that your horizon is slap bang in the middle of the image... I also dont really fancy your processing of the image, you have lost detail in your darkest points and have blown out parts of the clouds. There is also haloing on your horizon line. So overall an ok shot at best for my taste.

To improve upon number one, I would either re-shoot with your composition following the rule of thirds, or crop to rule of thirds, cropping out the blown clouds, it will help alot. You have a very interesting foreground with those water channels, emphasize them a bit more. I would also re-edit the image and try and recover your highlights and shadows. The image also looks as if it has been over sharpened? may just be my screen, but perhaps tone down on the sharpening and noise removal.

You already pointed out the most obvious issue with your second shot, is that your aperture was too fast, that coupled with focusing on the wrong area gives the whole image an out of focus look. As for editing, I much prefer what you did in this image. Looks much better than the first, however the white balance doesnt look quite right, perhaps a tad yellow? again, may just be my screen.

I think I'm going t go back and give it another go in a few weeks. for the second photo, where would you put the center focus on something like that. I thought you would want it all to be in perfect focus or should there be a center focus point? thanks for your perspective and advice, as well. I like this kind of critique whereas there's solutions and advice rather than plain "its out of focus" or "the colors are little too much". so thanks.

Pleasure, I agree with you, I love advice that tries to give some guidance as well, so I am trying to make an effort :D

I would definitely like to see all of the waterfall part in focus, all the way from where it starts at the wall to where it falls into the pool, so basically the entire image, and probably the best way to do this is with hyperfocal distance: link and Understanding Your Camera?s Hyperfocal Distance

Alternatively you could use focus stacking: Focus Stacking ~ T+MGP 07 | Gavtrain.com

Perhaps try both methods and see which one you like better :)

I think I'm going t go back and give it another go in a few weeks. for the second photo, where would you put the center focus on something like that. I thought you would want it all to be in perfect focus or should there be a center focus point? thanks for your perspective and advice, as well. I like this kind of critique whereas there's solutions and advice rather than plain "its out of focus" or "the colors are little too much". so thanks.

For the second shot, I probably wouldn’t have even bothered taking it if I didn’t have a tripod, but that’s just me.

Assuming I had my tripod and was going to use the same focal length, I’d probably have set my lens to about f/11 and manually focused on that second smaller rock jutting out of the water near the middle of the frame. This would ensure pretty good sharpness throughout the frame. Then, I’d drop my ISO down to 100 to minimize noise. To achieve equivalent exposure to what you have, this would lead to a shutter speed of about 0.2 seconds, which would blur the water flow a bit.

The “blurred waterfall” has become one of the biggest photo clichés I can think of, but my feeling is that it’s like learning Stairway to Heaven on guitar—everybody can benefit from giving it a go when they’re getting started.

Most reactions

Back