Landscape Photography Tip: The Myth of F/22

s.smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Many beginning landscape photographers read online tutorials that suggest using f/22 for maximum depth of field and blindly follow that advice. And while a smaller aperture does influence depth of field, f/22 isn’t the best answer. There are other elements at play that allow you to use a wider f-stop and get the same - if not better - results.

There are a number of reasons for this, each of which has to do with the sharpness of your final image.

<Link Removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
The few instances where I've gone to f22 have nothing to do with DoF or sharpness. Rather, I'm trying to deliberately get a longer exposure (say...flowing water) and don't have a NDF handy...so I'm trying to keep the aperture as small as possible. Otherwise, point well taken about shooting at extremes and sharpness.

f/22 is cool if you want a blurry image without any detail.

at f/6.3, nearly everything in this entire scene is in focus, Governor:

Christ Church from field by The Braineack, on Flickr

Is this the OPs article?
If so, thank you for sharing it.
Otherwise you copied and pasted the first paragraph.

There are many great landscape photographers here who can also provide input. You may want to share what you have learned and photos for concepts, etc.

Is this the OPs article?
If so, thank you for sharing it.
Otherwise you copied and pasted the first paragraph.

There are many great landscape photographers here who can also provide input. You may want to share what you have learned and photos for concepts, etc.

Starting to get the suspicion that someone is just here to drive traffic to another website.. hmm...

OP: You're welcome to post the article (in its entirety) in the 'Articles of Interest' forum, but in order to prevent TPF from becoming a haven for click-baiters, we do not allow leaders and links only.

For getting best IQ you are always advised not to shoot your lens in its extreme-either fully open or fully closed.
f8 is considered in most cases the best range to get the lens best IQ possible.
DOF is a factor of few variants, distance from subject is one of them.
When shooting horizon which is very far from you there really is no need to shoot at f22 to get everything in focus.
In most cases when I shoot landscape I will use f5-f8 and get good results.

Only time I shoot at f22 or more will be in case I want to use slow shutter speed in a sunny day.

Many beginning landscape photographers read online tutorials that suggest using f/22 for maximum depth of field and blindly follow that advice. And while a smaller aperture does influence depth of field, f/22 isn’t the best answer. There are other elements at play that allow you to use a wider f-stop and get the same - if not better - results.

There are a number of reasons for this, each of which has to do with the sharpness of your final image.

<Link Removed>
F22 is not a problem on my medium format cameras that go up to f45

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back