Landscape: The Tango (c&c will be deeply appreciated.)

Jasii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Made this one returning from Ladakh on the Manali highway India. There was this gentle wind and the blades of grass looked like competing with the clouds as to: who could tango better? :)

As always would love to hear from all of you.
Cheers & Rgds,
Jasii

The Tango by jasiiboss, on Flickr

I like the exposure here - very nicely done. I guess the only "criticism" I would have would be the 3 blades of really tall grass in the foreground, it's nice to have something there to tie it together and give the whole thing perspective but in this case at least for me they might be a bit too prominent, but of course this is a matter of individual taste. A different crop or a step or two to the right so that you still see some of the tall grass but it's not almost central to the photograph and I think this would be spot on.

All in all though very nicely done.

I think the two compliment each other quite well.

I would have stepped to the left and had the main shoots of grass to the right of the snow-capped peaks in the background, arching over them. I also would have shot in portrait orientation. And maybe get a bit lower to get more of the grass against the sky.

Something more like:
20632718745_a1557f441c_b%20edit.jpg

I like the exposure here - very nicely done. I guess the only "criticism" I would have would be the 3 blades of really tall grass in the foreground, it's nice to have something there to tie it together and give the whole thing perspective but in this case at least for me they might be a bit too prominent, but of course this is a matter of individual taste. A different crop or a step or two to the right so that you still see some of the tall grass but it's not almost central to the photograph and I think this would be spot on.

Thank you so much for your revertal. Appreciate it. I kinda liked the grass swaying and it kinda looked like a dance of sorts to me, hence it was included :)
The area is used for panning salt. To my right was a large ditch hence I was kinda careful ;)

Thank you so much for your revertal. Appreciate it. I kinda liked the grass swaying and it kinda looked like a dance of sorts to me, hence it was included :)
The area is used for panning salt. To my right was a large ditch hence I was kinda careful ;)

Lol.. yes, all to often I've had shots that would seem to be greatly improved if I could just move a little one way or the other, but of course not worth it if you end up falling to your doom in the process.

You know it might be interesting to see a shot like this at a shutter speed low enough that the grass showed indications of motion blur.. That might be a rather interesting effect.

I think the two compliment each other quite well.

I would have stepped to the left and had the main shoots of grass to the right of the snow-capped peaks in the background, arching over them. I also would have shot in portrait orientation. And maybe get a bit lower to get more of the grass against the sky.

Something more like:
20632718745_a1557f441c_b%20edit.jpg

Thank you.
I do have one in the portrait mode as you suggest. The exposure was not as good as this one, hence, decided to discard that one. Also I was shooting with the kit lens 18-55 on my cropped body the canon 600d, I think a UWA on a FF would have done justice more ably. But, I do get the point you are making. Thank you once again.

The grass stalks add a sense of distance, and give us something to gauge distance/scale with, for sure. I'd tend to agree with sparky's idea above, that it might have been better with the grasses placed more to the right hand side of the frame. As-shot, the grasses are blowing toward the "short side" of the frame, and that's causing a little bit too much attention, too much tension. The grasses would have benefitted from being give a bit more room to "lean into" if they had been moved to the right side of the frame if you'd just have moved a couple or three steps over to the left and then composed.

I can understand sparky's idea of shooting this as a vertical, but I'm not so sure that would have been necessary; it would restrict the scope of the landscape, buuuuut....it would also have tightened up the composition, and made the tall grass stalks more in-synch with the frame....tall with tall...

Lol.. yes, all to often I've had shots that would seem to be greatly improved if I could just move a little one way or the other, but of course not worth it if you end up falling to your doom in the process.

You know it might be interesting to see a shot like this at a shutter speed low enough that the grass showed indications of motion blur.. That might be a rather interesting effect.

Absence of an ND and the bright light did me in, there's always a next time I guess, but I am sure to store this in my ageing cells....... :)

If I were to go horizontal, I'd get down much lower and get more grass in the sky. Instead of just 3 or 4, try for 20 or 30. And as suggested, put the tallest ones on the right side of the frame.

Basic suggestion of thumb about portraying motion in an image: It should be towards the center of the frame, not away from it. This is not set in stone, it is not the 11th Commandment, it is not immutable. it's merely a guideline.

The grass stalks add a sense of distance, and give us something to gauge distance/scale with, for sure. I'd tend to agree with sparky's idea above, that it might have been better with the grasses placed more to the right hand side of the frame. As-shot, the grasses are blowing toward the "short side" of the frame, and that's causing a little bit too much attention, too much tension. The grasses would have benefitted from being give a bit more room to "lean into" if they had been moved to the right side of the frame if you'd just have moved a couple or three steps over to the left and then composed.

I can understand sparky's idea of shooting this as a vertical, but I'm not so sure that would have been necessary; it would restrict the scope of the landscape, buuuuut....it would also have tightened up the composition, and made the tall grass stalks more in-synch with the frame....tall with tall...
Thanks as always Derrel. Points noted........
jasii

If I were to go horizontal, I'd get down much lower and get more grass in the sky. Instead of just 3 or 4, try for 20 or 30. And as suggested, put the tallest ones on the right side of the frame.

Basic suggestion of thumb about portraying motion in an image: It should be towards the center of the frame, not away from it. This is not set in stone, it is not the 11th Commandment, it is not immutable. it's merely a guideline.
Yep! agree with that in toto. Gimme some time to understand the photoshop maze and I might just attempt that :)
Rgds,

Yep! agree with that in toto. Gimme some time to understand the photoshop maze and I might just attempt that :)
Rgds,

Composition and framing are not something that you'll find in PhotoShop. Yes, you'll have a crop tool. But that's not something that can fix an egregious error made when the image was taken.

Let's create an analogy. Suppose you have some guests coming over to dinner, and you have a fantastic meal planned. Of course, you need to go to the market and purchase the ingredients. You also must prepare those ingredients while in the kitchen. Some menu items can be prepared in advance, some can be purchased ready-to-eat, while others are best made just prior to eating. So you need to plan not only the menu itself, but select what goes into it, how best to prepare it, plan it, schedule it..... and then actually make each menu item. Whether an item is pre-made, or you must cook/bake it from scratch, there's a lot of work to be done on your part before you ever get out of the kitchen.

Only when everything is ready do most people finally assemble at the table to enjoy the repast.

The photographic analogy is; using a camera is the same as making the meal up until the dinner bell is rung. You don't toss all your ingredients on the table when you're ready to eat, then try to make a meal out of what's there. You only really should use PhotoShop to place the menu items on the table, so to speak.

Being a moron in the field of PP the photoshop bit was said in lighter vein. ........... :)
The food analogy has made me hungry, and it is 0230 hrs here,now look what you have done Sir?. ;)

Last edited:
I also agree about the grass being a good point of reference but just a little better off to one side. You did a great job with the depth of field, lighting, exposure, contrast, and color. I like the foreground detail and would include more of that with a little less sky.

I agree about the grass being more to the side, but it's a beautiful image Jasii. I love the contrast and the colors and it's not overly done like some. I would imagine that it's exactly as you saw it. Must have been lovely.

Most reactions

Back