Laptop for photographers

NYSTalents

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an advanced amateur photographer looking purchasing a laptop using on all my indoor and outdoor photo shoting, as I shot on the same time picture appear on the laptop monitor to check the quality of each shot and save. What type Laptop? Is Dell a good choice? Which hardware? Which Software?

Thank you

I am an advanced amateur photographer looking purchasing a laptop using on all my indoor and outdoor photo shoting, as I shot on the same time picture appear on the laptop monitor to check the quality of each shot and save. What type Laptop? Is Dell a good choice? Which hardware? Which Software?

Thank you

I use a Dell Latitude 830 with the WUXGA+ monitor option running XP Pro. I like it. I'd have preferred a Mac, but my work bought it for me and it's a good machine. I have 2GB of RAM and a DVD burner and it does fine with PS CS2.

Thank you

I use a Gateway MX6920 with 2 GB ram and a Centrino DUO Core processor running Windows XP and CS3. Works great for me.

buy a mac. hardly ever EVER crash and viruses are practically a non-issue (natively)

WOW Lenovo really put some thought into that baby!!!!!! But thats allot of cha ching for a laptop and im sure that price is way bottom of the line.

hmm £3000 sep 08 -- knock that down to £1500 sep 09 :)
affordable, and photo editing does only need a set amount of processing and graphics power - space is the key thing that really is needed -- so one does not need to aim for the upper market version to retain usability.

Either Macbook or Macbook Pro.

And Lightroom is probably the best choice for software.

I am running a 15" Macbook Pro with the 2.0ghz Core Duo and 1.5gb RAM and Lightroom. A little over two years old and still runs like a dream. I don't mean to turn this into a Mac vs. Windows debate, but I think a Macbook Pro is about as good as it gets (within reason). They're not cheap, but few good things are, and I've also heard complaints about the LCDs, but this system has been absolutely perfect for me.

I mean, do you really want Vista?

I was curious, and the new entry level Macbook Pro comes with a dual-core 2.4ghz processor and 2gb of RAM. Now, the cheapest one is still $2,000, but that's a big upgrade from what mine was two years ago.

you don't need Vista unless you play games -- that is really the only big reason.
Most stores will happily "downgrade" a computer from vista to xp if you ask them - and the current edition of xp is well supported, balanced and not as big a system hog.

I have a crappy Compaq Presario C700. It's not the best laptop in the world,but It's a great laptop. I don't think the laptop really matters,but as long as you have enough space in it to upload your photos.Especially if you plan on keeping them all on your laptop,you know?

Also, get a backup program for your photos. x_x
-Hy

WOW! I want one!
Yep, me too. *searches parents' wallets*

But I just can't see why you'd need so much power to use Photoshop. I mean, a quad-core processor? Nah, for gaming maybe, but not for editing. My computer has a 3.2GHZ single-core CPU, just over 1GB of RAM, and it runs CS3 completely fine. Sure, it's slow sometimes, but I can generally edit 6mp files with no framerate drops at all. But yeah. :drool:And that built-in tablet looks good too.

As for what machine you should get, it's all about your preferences. If you like the way Windows works (or have just "grew up" with Windows), then I'd recommend one of those. If you like the idea of Macs better, then get one of those. As for hardware, a 2ghz dual-core and 2gb RAM should do you OK for most image editing, but, naturally, the more the merrier. A biggish harddrive is always worth it as well.

Most reactions

Back