Laptop or Desktop

I prefer my desktop for any sort of serious editing, I have a standing workspace with a stool, and two 22" monitors. I use one for the editing, and usually have a TV show playing on the other to keep myself focused (counterintuitive, but it seems to work). My editing monitor is an IPS NEC MultiSync. Especially with LightRoom and Photoshop, the faster graphics card you have, the better. I upgraded the card in my Mac Pro, and my MacBook Pro has a separate card to run an external display.

I found some info...I don't know how reliable it is (or if it even applies to your machine), but here it is.

I also learned that the VAIO F-series 3D display is actually a Toshiba "OCB LCD" display, not an IPS. It seems to be somewhat new tech (though it's been under development for years), and I found it tough to find relevant, credible information about it.
2011 notebooks with IPS displays?

On that list is the Sony F series laptops...SO it's IPS then...what's IPS stand for? (oh, never mind, I read further :()

I found some info...I don't know how reliable it is (or if it even applies to your machine), but here it is.

I also learned that the VAIO F-series 3D display is actually a Toshiba "OCB LCD" display, not an IPS. It seems to be somewhat new tech (though it's been under development for years), and I found it tough to find relevant, credible information about it.
2011 notebooks with IPS displays?

On that list is the Sony F series laptops...SO it's IPS then...what's IPS stand for? (oh, never mind, I read further :()

Trever: Just want to say I look at you work, awesome stuff, I feel like I am blind now after seeing your work. Nice going

For me, it's unimportant which I use, desk- or laptop, since I shoot 95% + of all my photography using film. So all I need to do in a digital darkroom is a little cropping, straightening, resizing and sharpening before uploading the scanned photos. My scanner works independently of a computer, but I can't adjust the focus (this is fixed), so I need to sharpen a little post scan sometimes. No very sophisticated programs are necessary, nor do I need a very high quality monitor to complete the tasks I need a computer for and so a laptop suits me.

However, if I were a digital photographer, and especially if I shot in RAW, a computer with the wherewithal to provide me with good editing options would be far more important. In this case, I think I would want to work with as good a desktop and monitor as I could afford, simply because these would then equate to my lab/darkroom; and here I think you always try to find the best you can.

Thanks for all the advice... Thinking might start with the laptop then check around on have my desktop built!!

When you are at your desk, you can also add external monitor, keyboard and mouse to the laptop.

BTW, in additional to the portability of a laptop. You can also run the folders, tool bars, tools adjustments...etc on the laptop monitor, and display the "image viewer", full screen on the external monitor. "Dual monitors" is nothing new. I used the dual monitors setup with Autocad over 25 years ago.

Good point. I almost can't work without duel monitors now. I've got two 21" displays here at work. Makes it much easier with most of the Autocad stuff I do. At home, I've got a new 23" wide screen monitor and the other one is (I think) 21". It's almost too much screen space. :lol:

Most reactions

Back