Large Format 4x5 Cameras?

In regards to the Schneider 135mm lens, I'm not sure how I would identify that particular lens as there were quite a few different ones, can you show the specific lens you mean?

It was typically a Schnieder Xenar 135/4.7 - this is a small and light press lens though allows little movement as the image circle only just covers 5"x4". For press photography and with a lack of movements wider is preferred because of the DOF advantages. The smaller and cheaper lenses generally only have adequate coverage, to produce a wider image circle they generally get bigger and heavier.

Others to consider on a budget are the Kodak Ektar 127/4.7 (or 203/7.7), and the (Schnieder) Symmar 150/5.6 convertible.

A good budget 150mm is the Caltar II 150/5.6 but being more modern your camera may not close with it mounted, also worth noting is the Caltar II 135.

Some useful links:

A large format photography home page

135 - 240mm

I've used a lot of 135mm lenses and own a couple of 135mm Xenar's and previously had a 135mm Tessar, it's pushing it to get high quality images as edge and corner fall of wider than f22 is significant, a 127mm Ektar is worse still.

Back when these lenses were the mainstay of Press photography quality that we'd expect today wasn't expected or needed, films had poorer resolution, news print quality wars poor compared to today.

You can get excellent results form a 135mmXenar but it's far easier with a 150mm I have a couple as well as a CZJ Tessar.

My best 135mm lens is a Caltar-S II which is a re-badged Symmar S it's better than a Tesar opened up from f22 and has more coverage (image circle) for movements.

The 203mm f7.7 Ektar is a superb lens, the UK version was in three different shutters, first a Kodak Epsilon (Ross) then a Prontor SVS but neither have a preview button, finally the Synchro Compur all size #0. The US version was in a Supermatic although once Wollensak closed the last few were in a Graphic Compur #1 (I have one).

The 203mm (8") f7.7 Ektar is one of those lenses often over-looked, stellar sharp, excellent from Infinity to 1:1, Kodak sold a lot for scientific, industrial, and medical use. I've had three and still own two - I let the other in the worst shutter (Epsilon) go with a Cambo monorail as a first lens. My other comment would be that coatings improved, the early Lumenising was the poorest, by thwe time they were in a Prontor the coating was way better.

Ian

Well... I finally purchased a lens, received a late christmas gift in the form of a $100 gift card, was able to find an Optar 135mm f4.7 lens on ebay within that budget, looking forward to eventually shooting this camera.

s-l1600.jpg

Tominon 127mm F4.7 Lens In Polaroid Copal Shutter For 4x5" Large Format Cameras | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Edit: didn't finish reading the thread haha.

I have the fourth type of view camera. A Vintage 1910 view camera I restored. All of the above mentioned issues are true.

The main reason for owning it and using it is, because it is interesting and fun. I paired it with a couple of 60's vintage lenses. I recently bought a 4x5 development tank so I do not have to tray develop in the dark.

I also paddle a 1922 wood and canvas canoe and shoot skeet with an 1880's vintage shotgun for much the same reasons. Sometimes it is just fun to see what you can do with this old technology.

However, if it was for more serious photography, it that would certainly be another story.

4X5 INCH SCANNING BACK.... THAT IS WHAT for 15-or-so years has been the mainstay in the 4x5 product category. It appears you are not familiar with these products.

Most reactions

Back