largesense: digital 8x10 large format

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Whow !

Large Format Digital Backs and Cameras

LargeSense will be coming out with a large format digital camera for sale in 2015.

• The first single shot large format digital back camera for sale
  • 8x10 (10x8) inch high sensitivity, large pixel (fat pixel) digital sensor
  • CMOS and single shot sensor
  • Live view for easy focusing. No more ground glass!
  • WiFi for remote viewing and control
  • Large format 4k movie mode
  • Video through large format lenses, such as Petzval! Plus all kinds of tilting and shifting
  • Sheet film work flow is slow. Worried about getting the shot? Try taking 24 shots a second, and not letting up! (with fast external drive connection)
  • Shuttered and non shuttered operation.
  • Memory card and external hard drive support.
  • Mirrorless - being a mirrorless camera is popular now
  • All specifications subject to change

And also:

8x10 10x8 Large format digital back model LS911

We're working hard on our LS911 large format digital camera. When we have more information we'll update this page. So far these are the specs:

• 9x11 inch high sensitivity, large pixel digital sensor (We tend to refer to it as 8x10 as that is the closest format that people search for.)
  • 12 Mega Pixels
  • 75 micron pixel size (these are very large)
  • Live view for easy focusing
  • WiFi for remote viewing and control
  • Large format 4k movie mode (it is hopeful but not for sure)
  • 14 bit AD; 16 bit files
  • 2 hardware ISO modes
    Base ISO 2,100 - with IR filter - (approximate)High ISO 6,400 - with IR filter - (approximate)
  • No CFA, no AA and no micro lenses. This allows large movements without affecting edge image quality.
  • Output to DNG, TIFF and JPEG.
  • Media: CF and SD card slots.
  • Tethered operation, by CAT5 cable or WiFi.
  • All specifications subject to change

Whow !

Sadly not the slightest hint about the price.

But: only 12 megapixels, base ISO 2100 - this sounds way affordable, does it not ?

And in other parts of the side, they talk about a smaller 4x5 variant, which should be a lot cheaper than the 8x10 version ... hopefully !

Either way, even if the price is as insane as people might reasonably fear - I definitely wasnt expecting ANYONE to create a commercially available digital large format camera any time soon.

That is in no way a sensible product.

The first one wouldn't be, though.

And it appears to be missing a color array.......... so it's monchomatic.

Only 12 megapixels from a 8x10 sensor?

I get about 200 megapixel image from a 4x5 negative scan.

Yeah, but with pixels this big you should be able to shoot in damn near darkness. At least I can hope so.

When/if this is released, I'm going to do everything in my power to buy one. I just wish it was 4x5. 8x10 seems kind of bulky.

............ I just wish it was 4x5. 8x10 seems kind of bulky.

Buy the 8x10 and take a pair of scissors to it and cut it into four 4x5s. Sell three of the 4x5's for what you paid for the 8x10.

Free 4x5 sensor! :bouncingsmileys:

I did this with my old PS1 and PS2, taped them together and sold it as a PS3.

Buyer was pretty unhappy. No idea what his deal was.

I especially like how when you go onto the website you're met with a beautiful topless women gazing dreamily at you with their tag line being "size matters".

Who is doing their marketing, MAXIM?

The main nightmare I really care about with this camera is by the way : how would I keep that sensor clean ?

And yes I'd prefer the 4x5 inch version, too. Much more transportable, much easier and cheaper to get optics for.

Thats not something I would care much about, personally.

I might only get 12 monochrome Megapixels, but it would be most excellent Megapixels, and I'd have all the movements of a real large format camera.

Also, I wouldnt have all the problems with film.

Yeah, but can you shoot movies?
Yeah sure you can do film, but only monochrome ? I'd say thats really just a gimmick.

I especially like how when you go onto the website you're met with a beautiful topless women gazing dreamily at you with their tag line being "size matters".

Who is doing their marketing, MAXIM?
Personally I wouldnt actually mind nude pictures, as long as they are tasteful, but just for the record: there are multiple pictures of this woman from the same shoot. She's definitely wearing a top. Its just hard to see in that particular picture, because the hair is covering that area and the bra she's wearing isnt easily visible on this monochrome sensor.

Alyson in the Studio

Also, "size matters" clearly doesnt refer to the woman, since she's a cup A. The company is called "largesense" and the image sensor is HUGE compared to any other on the market.

I love how they cite being mirrorless as a feature because "mirrorless is popular now".
not because there are any actual advantages to being mirrorless mind you, just because its popular.

I love how they cite being mirrorless as a feature because "mirrorless is popular now".
not because there are any actual advantages to being mirrorless mind you, just because its popular.
Are you really angry now - just because they made a joke ?

Yes, mirrorless is currently the next new big thing and yes, any camera that isnt a SLR (or DLR) doesnt have mirrors and is thus "mirrorless".

Are you really angry now - just because they made a joke ?

Yes, mirrorless is currently the next new big thing and yes, any camera that isnt a SLR (or DLR) doesnt have mirrors and is thus "mirrorless".

where did you get "angry from"?
methinks thou doth project too much.

no, not angry.
i just thought it was kinda funny that as a company listing all the great features their new camera is going to offer, they include "mirrorless" (which is indeed an important feature to list) but instead of mentioning anything functional about the mirrorless aspect, they just say "because its popular". they could have just said, "and the camera is mirrorless".
did they give it a viewfinder too? cause viewfinders are crazy popular!

i just thought it was funny man, thats all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back