Lasers and sensors

4meandthem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How sensitive are camera sensors to low watt lasers. If one is in motion and passes through the lens is it a problem? How about bounced off something like a gem or crystal. Will it damage the sensor or just blacken the image?

I don't know the impact of low-wattage lasers, but I've lost count of the number of people who've reported their sensors getting screwed at concerts, clubs, etc...

If it was an SLR and you were not using Live View, the laser never even got to the sensor. If it's a compact camera or an SLR with Live View, it's really bad. Lasers are extremely dangerous, as the light is very concentrated. 1W lasers (a hundredth of the power of a 100W light bulb) are used to cut metal. I accidentally got a reflection of a 10mW laser in my eye and it hurt for days.

I've also heard a lot of people having problems with lasers. If the laser itself meets the sensor (eg you're shooting a video, or using live view, or you're taking a photo) then there is a high chance that the laser will damage the sensor. From that point the only fix is a new sensor which is not cheap.

There is also the concern of the mirrors inside a DSLR when you're using the viewfinder - in general I would say if the lasers come out be careful and avoid them. You don't want a damaged camera and you certainly don't want damaged eyes.

I am thinking that there is some way to block laser light, i'm thinking polarizing filters?

As for refracted laser light, it really depends on how coherent the refracted light remains. My guess with an ordinary laser pointer, this wouldn't be a problem. The light which exits the gem may be a tiny fraction of the energy output by the laser, and the light will be scattered.

The reason why lasers are dangerous is because they focus all their energy into one place and in similar phase. If that quality is broken it's safety depends on the levels of concentration and coherence. Regardless, very high output lasers, greater than what you'd find in laser pointers, should be handled with caution.

In any case, you should use eye protection when using a laser with an optical device.

Last edited:
OP: google "lasor and dslr sensor"

Someone posted a youtube video awhile back showing a 5DmkII filming a video in a concert or something similar with laser lights. And then ZAP ZAP ... Bye Bye sensor. A permanent black line across the photos/videos it produced from that point.

Someone posted a youtube video awhile back showing a 5DmkII filming a video in a concert or something similar with laser lights. And then ZAP ZAP ... Bye Bye sensor. A permanent black line across the photos/videos it produced from that point.

^^^ I saw many of those videos after a quick google search

Was talking about this with a member here (that reminded me I had an account here) and while I have shot a CRAP ton of concerts/production events, it matters on how you catch the light. Lasers will be there, but more so, especially in smaller venues, it will be more creative lighting than lasers.

I have also shot MORE than my fair share of lasers, not head on as hell I don't wanna do that with my own eye, let alone with my own gear, so is there harm to be had when shooting lasers on an angle?

A lot of these are older, and I can say that my sensors on (at the time 2 D50's), then 2 D80's, I never had any ines or problems with images. . .

LASER
$5192509336_5b23e0cbbc_b.jpg

$5192511426_5eb37485e6_b.jpg

$5192515760_0ef844d03f_b.jpg

$5383845630_47967a55ab_b.jpg

LIGHT
Shooting for Papadosio and damn Right

$5673082540_3fcd8e1b8f_b.jpg

$5671146721_e94c8d6bd3_b.jpg

In the first one, the laser's energy is being distributed into hundreds of individual beams, and are incoherent. I'd imagine this particular example is definitely going to be safe, and the amount of energy which reaches the camera is going to be very small.

Most reactions

Back