Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments.
ShaCow, danir is correct with the exception that there is no dispute that it is the western wall of the Temple (I don't think that that's what danir meant, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion). Supposedly, God said that no matter what happened to Jerusalem or the Temple, the Western Wall would always stand as a symbol of the Temple and a token that it would be rebuilt. 2,000+ years later, it is indeed still standing. There are incredibly famous pictures of Israeli soldiers at the Wall when they took the Old City during the war. It is one of the most important places in Judaism, not because it's sacred or holy, but because it embodies the religion...a wall that has endured for over 2,000 years of punishment. It is also the closest Jews can get to the Temple Mount, which IS the holiest site in Judaism. There is some extremely powerful and awe inspiring when you stand before the Western Wall.
Robin, it's very interesting what you say. I never thought about it from a non-Jewish perspective. There are few Jews in the world who would look at a picture of an old man with a flowing white beard, black hat, and black coat at the Western Wall, and not immediately be able to fill in what he is doing and what the expression on his face would be.
You are correct, though, I should not expect my audience to fill in the gaps. Thanks for that comment.
Thanks again everyone.