Late afternoon in Oregon

It's quite nice, but I think there are a few things that hurt the shot a little. You've got the exposure nice and obviously you've deliberatley composed it which is good, there's a nice sky with a bit of drama in the clouds which has been processed well.

First of there's a little bit of haze in the background that's typical of the moisture content in the air in summer. Not much you can do about it though I'd attempt to increase the contrast (or dehaze) the background a touch.

Second it seems to lack directional light, though there's a little in the shadows of the trees so I'm not sure if you've over corrected in post or whither the sun was partially obscured and there was lots of diffuse light. The light that you do have is quite cold and with a lot of blue tones I'd have expected it to be a little warmer given the location. These are relitivley minor issues but worth a little consideration.

Lastly the composition is a bigger issue IMO. You've done a great job with the foreground and using the water as a leading line and great job capturing the geese which add a nice complexity to the shot. After that however my eye is drawn to the kayak, then mountain top, then the large cloud and out the frame. The central alignment of these elements means that my eye moves quite quickly with little time to linger in the frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back