Late Night Russian Roulette

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just looking for some feedback on a spontaneous late night shot I took while I was bored a few days ago.

Settings were Canon EOS 5D with Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM - ISO 50 - f/8 - 1/6

Attachments

• $Russian Roulette B&W.jpg
    $Russian Roulette B&W.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 95
Focus point selection seems curious...upper right hand corner, just the very side part of the hammer...I really wish the focus had been placed on the single cartridge or one of the empty cylinders. As shown, your decision on what to focus on makes very little sense, to me at least.

Focus point selection seems curious...upper right hand corner, just the very side part of the hammer...I really wish the focus had been placed on the single cartridge or one of the empty cylinders. As shown, your decision on what to focus on makes very little sense, to me at least.
To me the picture shows the cylinder spinning, just prior to being snapped shut.

As it is done in Russian Roulette.

I see the spinning, but to me, I wish for a greater DOF and just a little more light toward the left side of the frame.

I agree more DOF and light would help it a lot.

I'm with Derrel on this one. In total, neat image! I like the concept of the image, but I kinda wish the entire frame of the revolver was in focus, and just the cylinder was blurred from motion. Overall, though, I do get that "Russian Roulette" feel. As for the lighting, I think the way it is now does a good job of highlighting the single round in the cylinder, which is, in my opinion, the main subject anyway.

good as is..

It would have been more frightening if there was a head at the end of the barrel. Just saying of course :)
We'll never know, because a gun is "always" loaded! And you "never" do stupid things like that, even with an "unloaded" gun!! But since all guns are always loaded............ well, we should never have to see something that crazy.

It would have been more frightening if there was a head at the end of the barrel. Just saying of course :)
We'll never know, because a gun is "always" loaded! And you "never" do stupid things like that, even with an "unloaded" gun!! But since all guns are always loaded............ well, we should never have to see something that crazy.
Aw comeon, it is just a photo...it was nicely done too. It is the purpose of the shot (pun intended) and he had achieved that. If Russian Roulette is scary and this photo achieved its purpose to show it to the audience, then the goal of the OP had been achieved. No person, animal nor any living thing was harmed by that shot. Just me.

I agree with what some of the others have been saying about the shot being somewhat unorthodox, but since when was 'normal' and 'orthodox' exciting to look at?! This is a cool photo, and I think the unusual focus point and low lighting adds to the drama and 'horror' of the shot.. Really nice if you ask me :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back