RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some more shots from Lebanon Valley

000_7477 - Copy.JPG

000_7667 - Copy.JPG

Awe. I'm in awe of these beasts. Nice captures.

H.H. stands for hand held.

Ah, now I get it!

Yes, all of my drag strip shots are hand held.

I also discovered that many were taken with the VR mistakenly turned off, too. But I can't remember if these two were among them.

One of the things taught in a class I took was panning. It can be very difficult until practiced. Seems you have practiced quite a bit. Nice job!

One of the things taught in a class I took was panning. It can be very difficult until practiced. Seems you have practiced quite a bit. Nice job!

Thanks!

I've been a fan of and involved in drag racing since I was a kid. So that has made me very familiar with how things go down and I know what to look for.

One thing I do is to keep both eyes open and I watch the tree (starting lights) with my left so I can anticipate when the cars will launch. I also try to focus my attention to a specific point on the car - like where the A pillar meets the door - and keep that at the same point in the frame as the car moves.

Like many other types of photography, being prepared is important. I pick which car I want to shoot and brace my leg against the bleacher seat in front of me before the cars are staged. I may make a couple of practice rotations to make sure I'm steady and can follow the action for as long as I need to get the shot I want.

Although it didn't work out in the shot of the Super Sport, I had positioned myself so I could catch the cars as they passed under the NHRA banner like in this one:

000_7136 - Copy.JPG

Most reactions

Back