Lava Beds

terry_g

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Beupre Falls In the Lava beds a short drive from my home.
The light was wrong. I used a CPL at maximum settting.

Terry

15058063395_18e4439062_b.jpg

Looking across the lava beds.

5107441715_e71bc20713_b.jpg

A sign posted in the lava beds. There was a lot of smoke in the air from a forest fire.

14865936349_9eec9802c0_b.jpg

Lava Lake

4674491983_c5a3dee1df_b.jpg

More Lava

22860722961_86d97c75cd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Over-all I like these shots, however I think they could stand a bit more processing. The yellows in that first shot seem a bit too hot (on my monitor at least) and the second and last shots are both a fair bit tilted. I also might have framed or cropped that first shot a bit differently...it seems to lend itself to a portrait orientation better than landscape. Likewise, the 4th shot, "Lava Lake" looks like it could stand some tweaking...if that was shot in RAW, I might open up the blacks a bit and try to recover the highlights (or even do some selective work using layers in a program like Photoshop). In other words, I think you have a good start with these, but I'd love to see them a bit more polished.

Nice! Thanks for posting, as now I know where I'm going next summer.

Nice shots, but you left out a lot of history. I am assuming these are the Nisga'a Memorial Lava Beds north of Terrace. If so, then folks might be interested to know that they are only about 250 years old and that when the volcano erupted, it killed about 2000 people from the First Nation's and, today, these lava beds have a certain spiritual significance to the Nisga'a. The lava beds themselves cover about 18,000 hectares and include a 10 km lava flow. More details can be found here - Nisga'a Memorial Lava Bed Park, British Columbia, Canada .

On another note, it would be of benefit to reviewers if you would number your images when posting more than one or two. This makes it a lot easier for reviewers to refer to an image by number, rather than having to flip back and forth to ensure that they do, indeed, have the right one for their comments.

WesternGuy

The second shot has a lot of potential IMO. A bit of post processing in lightroom and it would be killer

Nice shots, but you left out a lot of history. I am assuming these are the Nisga'a Memorial Lava Beds north of Terrace. If so, then folks might be interested to know that they are only about 250 years old and that when the volcano erupted, it killed about 2000 people from the First Nation's and, today, these lava beds have a certain spiritual significance to the Nisga'a. The lava beds themselves cover about 18,000 hectares and include a 10 km lava flow. More details can be found here - Nisga'a Memorial Lava Bed Park, British Columbia, Canada .

WesternGuy

This is just my own personal opinion, however I honestly don't believe that information really adds to or detracts anything from the images themselves. It is perhaps some interesting "history", however whether or not the OP chose to share it (or was even aware of it) seems rather irrelevant...in my mind at least...as the images seem to stand well enough on their own. The second and forth shots particularly (with a bit more processing) would in fact be quite lovely, regardless of the history.

Again, just my own personal opinion.

WesternGuy

This is just my own personal opinion, however I honestly don't believe that information really adds to or detracts anything from the images themselves. It is perhaps some interesting "history", however whether or not the OP chose to share it (or was even aware of it) seems rather irrelevant...in my mind at least...as the images seem to stand well enough on their own. The second and forth shots particularly (with a bit more processing) would in fact be quite lovely, regardless of the history.

Again, just my own personal opinion.
Having the insatiable curiosity that I have, I always find that having some context, location, relevant history as applicable, etc., for the posted images adds value to understanding the W5 of them. I am always curious about these aspects of posted images as they help me understand why the poster took the images that he/she did and that they are not just some random "postcard" snapshot taken from a parked car. Without some kind of context, the 2nd, 3rd and last images do nothing for me, regardless of how they are processed (and I am a geologist). Just my personal opinion.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back