learning lighting - umbrella/softbox, etc.??

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I've spent a majority of the day just researching lighting, examples, products, reviews, etc.
I realize that what I need depends on my photography needs and I have had a heck of a time trying to find the affordable most practical solution for lighting.
softbox=expensive/controlled lighting
umbrella=inexpensive/less-controlled lighting
...so, anyone have an opinion on the umbrella softboxes??
and also, looks like a sure thing I can invest in is some good literature. Understanding exposure seemed to be the go-to book for exposure, how about lighting? Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers?? I can go ahead with learning for sure.
thanks

Check out strobist.com Between that and reading any material i could, i ended up getting an umbrella and a beauty dish. They both work great. Also, check out the strobist thread on here. Its a great source of info and real life examples of your future purchases. I can vouch for adorama brand, as i use all their flashpoint "noname" stuff and its working GREAT so far.

Regards,
Jake

For your first light modifier I would suggest a shoot thru umbrella, they're cheap and produce very nice light.

As Jake mentioned, strobist.com is a great place to learn about lighting.

Ok thanks, I will be experimenting indoors and outdoors so would the kit below be good to start with? I have an sb-600 flash.

an umbrella is very versatile as well. i just use a speedlight or a clamp light to shoot through.

That's perfect.

Hi, I think at one time or another I have tried just about all of the options and keep coming back to Soft Boxes. Have a few Chemera (never spell that right) medium sized ones now that I use in the field. Sure they cost you to get into but the light quality difference is there and they will be there for you for years to come. Just one is enough to get started and do some fantastic shots. You do not need a lot of them - trust me- one will do you very nicely with a polystirene board as a reflector or even two of those. If you want to get into photography seriously concentrate on getting quality equipment right from the start even if you cannot have loads of things have good ones. They will follow you for years and pay for themselves later with not having to replace them. Cameras are the one place you will just have to keep trading up until you get to a "good" level for the work you do. Do not get lost in the techie stuff good images are still the product of your mind not your equipment. 90% of my work was always with the same kit - upgraded through the years- you see under my avitar. with a bunch of filters etc

.......I can vouch for adorama brand, as i use all their flashpoint "noname" stuff and its working GREAT so far.......

Thank you for the Flashpoint recommendation - very much appreciated.

My opinion is that after the newness and novelty wears off, you'll have it setup as either an umbrella or a softbox the majority of the time. I think the better money would be for a dedicated umbrella (cheap enough) or a softbox.

As far as umbrellas go, I'd suggest a 45" as your small size. Also, one of each..... shoot through and reflective. You can pick these up as you go along, not necessary to have all at once.

As usual, just my 2¢.

My opinion is that after the newness and novelty wears off, you'll have it setup as either an umbrella or a softbox the majority of the time. I think the better money would be for a dedicated umbrella (cheap enough) or a softbox.

As far as umbrellas go, I'd suggest a 45" as your small size. Also, one of each..... shoot through and reflective. You can pick these up as you go along, not necessary to have all at once.

As usual, just my 2¢.

Are you suggesting two separate umbrellas for the sake of using two separately or for the different light quality. I initially had in mind to buy two buy then I got to thinking maybe I should just practice with one umbrella.

There are convertible umbrellas that have a black outer cover used for bouncing light off the inside, and with the black outer cover removed, for shoot through lighting.

The difference is, as a shoot through you can get the umbrella a lot closer to your subject and any light that spills out of the umbrella as bounced light is directed away from your setup.

As far as learning lighting, a good book to start with is Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back