Learning to Flash

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've reviewed the tutorial thread first and I'm not sure I found what I'm looking for. I just recently bought my first TTL flash and I'm wanting to learn how/when to use it. I could try taking pictures of everything with the flash to see how it helps but something tells me this is the long way around learning.

Sooo where do I begin? What would be something/somewhere to start to help me learn. I should mention that I'm not ready to learn OCF as I have no way to use it off camera yet and probably wont for a little while. With all the new equipment I just bought, my head is overflowing with all the information and I'm feeling overwhelmed. Can someone help break it down a little bit so I can get started?

I am, I am! I'm working my way through the D7000 manual but yea---dry read! I just get overwhelmed by how much is packed into those manuals and just having a basic starting place would be helpful.

Set your camera to Manual Mode, ISO 100, f/5.6. The camera automatically sets is speed at 1/250 when you turn on the flash on ETTL mode. Half press your shutter then press the “*” button. The camera is telling the flash, “Hey, I’m about to shoot. Give me the right amount of light for this scene.” You have 8 seconds to recompose your shot upon pressing the asterisk button. Fully press the shutter and look at the result.

You can adjust your shutter speed depending on how you want your picture to be (in Aperture Mode, the camera sets the speed at 1/60 and you cant adjust it). Higher speed if you want to light the subject and don’t care much about the background, or lower speed (1/60) if you want the background to have ambient light.

You may adjust also your ISO and aperture opening. Keep experimenting until you get the right, correct, and creative exposure you want.

Have fun with the flash. Its a great investment.

This is for ETTL flash shooting. If you go manual on your flash, that's a different story.

Here is a basic basic basic rule of thumb with flashes that was amazing when i first bought a flash.

If your "background" is too dark or bright, adjust the shutter speed.

If where you key flash is too bright or dark, adjust the aperture.

The burst of speed is more or less too quick for your shutter to control so the only way to tame it is your aperture.

I never even used TTL mode, i went straight to manual because IMO its more predictable and allows you to fully understand the flash through experimentation and practice.

Set your camera to Manual Mode, ISO 100, f/5.6. ......

I agree to Manual mode, but that's how I roll. The other settings are questionable. I'm not sure about the D7000, but the D300 & D700 native ISO is 200, so ISO100 could be a mute point.. Why f/5.6? The sharpest apeture for the 50mm f/1.8 is ~f/8, why hamper yourself? How do you know what the scene that RedWylder is shooting? It might be that f/3.2 is the appropriate aperture. We don't know.

I think I read earlier that you're only doing on-camera flash atm. That's fine and TTL is quite useful in that. What is your question? What are you trying to shoot that has you boggled? I just ran through a series on another thread HERE, but for OCF. Will this help? Does the D7000 have Commander mode and does your flash accept it? Do you have remote RF triggers?

Set your camera to Manual Mode, ISO 100, f/5.6. ......

I agree to Manual mode, but that's how I roll. The other settings are questionable. I'm not sure about the D7000, but the D300 & D700 native ISO is 200, so ISO100 could be a mute point.. Why f/5.6? The sharpest apeture for the 50mm f/1.8 is ~f/8, why hamper yourself? How do you know what the scene that RedWylder is shooting? It might be that f/3.2 is the appropriate aperture. We don't know.

I think I read earlier that you're only doing on-camera flash atm. That's fine and TTL is quite useful in that. What is your question? What are you trying to shoot that has you boggled? I just ran through a series on another thread HERE, but for OCF. Will this help? Does the D7000 have Commander mode and does your flash accept it? Do you have remote RF triggers?

Those are starter setting and may be changed or adjusted depending on the situation. At least she has some settings to start with. As she progresses with the use of the flash, she can adjust as much as she can. I started with that settings too and have gone a bit farther by opening my aperture to 1.4 on a 50mm. Lets give her some settings to start with. As I said in my reply to her questions, "You may adjust also your ISO and aperture opening. Keep experimenting until you get the right, correct, and creative exposure you want."

I'm not shooting anything in particular yet. I've had the flash about 4 days and haven't had a real opportunity. Right now I'm just researching and learning about the flash and that's where I get all muddled. Anyways, thanks for getting me started, I'll try to keep everything mentioned in mind.

As i stated that the flash is controlled by the aperture, i forgot to mention something bike mike posted in another thread that is smart. Adjust the on flash distance and power first before messing with the aperture. Meter to grey card, and control all else with power and distance on the flash, and THEN mess with the aperture. More or less LOL, there are several exceptions and follow up statements but its a sense of direction for you.

I would like to recommend "On Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography" by Neil VanNiekerk, it is a great book for learning flash, particularly ttl flash and how to make it look natural.

No doubt you need to understand how the camera and the strobe (flash) light work and the features and functions each has that relate to strobed light photography.

Then start learning how to apply the light to subjects with an introduction to the basics of photographic lighting: Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Talk about dry reading.....light science and magic is about as dry as chicken that has been on the BBQ for 3 hours :lol:
But it's good material.

I see you shoot Nikon. Other wise I would recommend "Speedliters_Handbook_Learning_To_Craft_Light_With_Canon_Speedlites".
It's aimed at the Canon Speedlites (duh !!), but has some good tips about TTL and manual workflow.

Most reactions

Back