Learning with brightness and contrast.

texkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am learning little by little. Its seems that I can easily get the grass greener, by I can't get the brown to be a bit brighter.

1. Original
dsc00148qm6.jpg

2. First Attempt (Cropped, adjusted contrast and brightness)
experimentzz7.jpg

I'm not sure what image editing program you're using, but find out if it supports layer masks. Then use them. That's the easiest way to do what you want.

I'm not sure what image editing program you're using, but find out if it supports layer masks. Then use them. That's the easiest way to do what you want.
Not too sure what a "layer mask" is. However, I am using my friends Photoshop. Found a tool called "Quick Selection Tool". So with that, I selected the grass seperately from the dog, it made things a bit easier.

I am learning little by little. Its seems that I can easily get the grass greener, by I can't get the brown to be a bit brighter.

1. Original
dsc00148qm6.jpg

2819741801_6b7b2c8a22_o.jpg

levels
curves
red saturation +10%
color balance: highlights/midtones +15 magenta (-15green), shadows +15green (-15 magenta)

Last edited:
Sorry ... regardless of whether you're using a Layer Mask or not ...

You're starting out using the WRONG tools to make basic adjustments!

NEVER adjust brightness and/or contrast ... or color or saturation ... until you have adjusted LEVELS first!

Trust me. I've taught this stuff for several years. This is the single biggest mistake being made today in image management.

http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/photoshop.html

See, particularly, STEP #3.
It's written for Photoshop Elements 4 & 5. But the steps will work for any version of PS and most other decent software.

Thank you both: Sandspur & floor6

floor6: You got the fur the way I was trying to get. Maybe still wanted to get the grass a darker green, but I'll learn as I go through it.

Sandspur: Thanks for the article. I looked up the definitions/use of "levels". It made more sense than adjusting brightness/contrast. I'm still reading. Maybe after class today, I'll go back to that picture, or another one, and give another go at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back