Lee Big Stopper.. Little Stopper.. Or Something Else?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thoughts? I have truly fallen in love with my new set of lee graduated ND's, and have been watching every single video on ND's there is on youtube. I've been drooling over the Lee Big Stopper, but realized they have recently come out with the little stopper (6 stops instead of 10). Does anyone own the Big Stopper or something comparable? I realize there will be times when 10 stops is too much, but are those times often? I really want to be able to shoot wide open or long exposures during the day, which I know it'd be perfect for. I guess I'm just looking for personal anecdotes of when it did/didn't work well.

Best,
Jake

I hear both are as rare as hen's teeth. So good luck finding one or the other.

I have a B+W 10-stop, which I love.

I hear both are as rare as hen's teeth. So good luck finding one or the other.

I have a B+W 10-stop, which I love.

Seems like I can find a few places with them in stock. I've been drooling over it, and have a million beautiful locations here in Maine I want to shoot before I graduate this spring.

Jake

They're actually IN STOCK? Or their computer / website just SAYS they're in stock?

We ordered one for my dad earlier this year. Delivery time was around 6 weeks. Nowhere we could find actually had it in stock

If you are going to be shooting with a tripod anyway I'd just get the big stopper.

We ordered one for my dad earlier this year. Delivery time was around 6 weeks. Nowhere we could find actually had it in stock

If you are going to be shooting with a tripod anyway I'd just get the big stopper.

I plan to shoot with a tripod... So I guess you're right. Really what I want is 10 more filters.. but DANG they are expensive!

Best,
Jake

I plan to shoot with a tripod... So I guess you're right. Really what I want is 10 more filters.. but DANG they are expensive!

Try pricing a good VND.
fiufiu.gif

I don't understand the appeal of the big stopper. You can get a $60 or $90 Haida, tiffen, B&W whatever 10 stop filter, or you can pay like $250 for a holder and a lee 10 stop filter that takes up way more space
???

Yeah it's easier to remove, but a normal 10 stop filter doesn't have to be removed anyway, because your LCD view mode can show you what you're looking at with it on (and even autofocus usually, if not certainly you can manual focus with it)

I don't understand the appeal of the big stopper. You can get a $60 or $90 Haida, tiffen, B&W whatever 10 stop filter, or you can pay like $250 for a holder and a lee 10 stop filter that takes up way more space
???

Yeah it's easier to remove, but a normal 10 stop filter doesn't have to be removed anyway, because your LCD view mode can show you what you're looking at with it on (and even autofocus usually, if not certainly you can manual focus with it)

Well I guess I'm an idiot, because I've already invested $450 into the Lee system...

Jake

I didn't say anybody was an idiot. I said I don't understand the appeal. I may very easily just be missing something.

I didn't say anybody was an idiot. I said I don't understand the appeal. I may very easily just be missing something.

The appeal for me was to have a system that will last a LONG time. That and that alone appealed quite heavily to me.

Jake

Most reactions

Back