Lee Filter System

Augphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to all.

I hope this subject hasn't been covered before.

I am ecstatic because I have finally got the Big Stopper coming my way!!!

I have yet to order the foundation kit, however, or the adapter ring(s). Which brings me to my question. All of my lenses but two take a 77mm filter. The ones which do not are the 70-200 which takes a 67mm and my 100 macro which takes a 58mm filter.

So, I was going to purchase a 77mm adapter (of course) and a 67mm adapter for the 70-200, then maybe a 58mm for my macro. Whew, this is an expensive game we're in isn't it ?

Then I got to thinking. Is there ever a need for filters (including nd grads, solid nd filters, or the Big Stopper) on either the 100 macro or the 70-200 zoom. I obviously want them for my wider lenses but does anyone find a use for them on longer lenses as well ?

Now, if I may bother you with a secondary question or questions. I see that Lee sells an expensive polarizer for the front of the foundation kit. I like polarizers but I've read that some won't use them with wide-angles anyway because they make the sky uneven. Do any of you experience this issue? Do you even both with a polarizer when using grads, etc ? If you do use them, do any of you use a polarizer other than the Lee on the front of the foundation kit ?

I ask this later series of questions because I already own a B + W 77 MM (MC) Kaesemann Circular Polarizing Filter which I love and paid good money for. Would I not be able to use this with the Lee System ? It is only a 77mm filter thread after all. Is there no way to make it work ? Or, again, would it even pay to use one ?

In case it matters, I am using Canon equipment. Specifically the 7D but do plan on purchasing a full frame body in the future. Currently my widest lens is a 17-40.

Thanks, for bearing with me on my long post and I thank everyone in advance for responding. As you can see, I am not well-versed in this filter stuff so, if anyone has any other tips or knowledge on this system or things I should know, please chime in.

Most reactions

Back